Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

10# Butt- how long at 220 degrees

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing my first butt on the egg. About how long at 220 degrees indirect. Chunks of hardwood or chips for the smoke.

Comments

• Spincycle
    Spincycle Posts: 26
    Options
    MoEggHed,
    I've only done one but the rule of thumb around here is about 2 hours per butt. I'd visit Naked Whiz's site as I used his directions and focused on 200 degrees and it came out awesome.[p]

[ul][li]named whiz puled pork guide[/ul]
  • Spincycle
    Spincycle Posts: 26
    Options
    MoEggHed,
    meant to say 2 hours per pound

• Unknown
    Options
    4510600687.jpg
    <p />MoEggHed,[p]About 16 hours or until meat is at least 190 internal temp. Then wrap in foil and put in an empty cooler fore 45 minutes to an hour to let juices set back in meat. then pull.[p]I use guava wood (of course) chunks and JD pellets or oak chunks.[p]Aloha,[p]Greg
  • Unknown
    Options
    guava greg ,
    How much wood do you put in?

• Unknown
    Options
    MoEggHed,[p]'bout 4-6 chunks depending on size and a handful of JD pellets just before adding the meat. I think I just like the smell of the pellets more than any flavor it might give.[p]Greg
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Options
    spincycle,
    I did two 5 lb. butts all night last night for lunch today, Used Dizzy Pig rub...Ragin' River and some extra turbinado sugar, it was perfect.... cooked at 250~275º for about eight hours then ramped down the fire and cooked at 220º for eight more hours. All on one load of Kingsford Lump Charcoal and three Hickory chunks and two mesquite chunks buried in the fire at various places. Had a perfect texture, great smoked flavor but not bitter, and the meat was still at 160º after a 4 hour rest in the cooler.
    Sandwiches at 1:00 p.m. today and smiles everywhere! Nothing better than a successful cook!
    Happy Egging!