Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal Recommendations

Options
2»

Comments

• avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    Options
    If you are in Chicago, check out Berger Brothers on Goose Island (on Cherry Street).  Cash only and limited hours, but worth checking out.  
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/berger-brothers-chicago 
    I also recently tried a bag of Fogo from Amazon and liked it a lot.  
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Big Green Egg sells charcoal
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    I feel it is best to try a few and decide for yourself.  I would start with what is available in your area and go from there. 

I'm lucky here in S.E. Wisconsin, grilling season starts on January 1 and ends on December 31 (to be totally honest I don't understand seasonal charcoal sales in areas with better weather, but meh what do I know), that being said Grove is available and at a decent price ($12-$14 for a 20 lb bag) so that is what I use and recommend to those that can get it.  I have tried a few others R.O., some coconut shell one, and really didn't like them much.
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    edited November 2015
    Options
    bboulier said:
    .  Then switched to some Rockwood, purchased through Amazon in 30 or 40 lb. bags.  Liked that a lot.  The last batch of Rockwood I purchased wasin smaller bags 
    I believe you are thinking of another brand.  We don't have 30-40# bags, nor do we sell through Amazon. 

20# bags via Firecraft is the only mail order option.
    I apologize.  I meant to say Fogo rather than Rockwood.  I wish there were a way to delete the previous post.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Nick311
    Options
    Royal oak user mixed with BGE coal. Seems to do the job perfect for me. 
  • eggnewtoy
    Options
    Bought a small bag of Rockwood yesterday and cooked ribs in snow storm yesterday.  Burned hotter than fogo--great for winter cooking.  Liked it a lot.  Thx all.
    BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Try what you can get your hands on.  Luckily, charchoal is a short term commitment.  Experiment, you may learn something to none of us have.

This is my personal favorite:

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    eggnewtoy said:
    Bought a small bag of Rockwood yesterday and cooked ribs in snow storm yesterday.  Burned hotter than fogo--great for winter cooking.  Liked it a lot.  Thx all.
    Great!  Did you go to Hofherr's?  Been meaning to get up there and visit with them.  Looks like a great butcher shop.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    Big Green Egg sells charcoal
    :lol: and thermometers, knives, pizza peels, pizza stones, table nests, tables, cutting boards, aprons, t-shirts....

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    RW for me. 
    If RW isn't available I'll get WGWW or WGJB to tide me over. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Yep, RW it is.  When the supply gets low, I ask my local lump pusher to add a pallet to his next order.  That lowers the per/pallet shipping cost for him.  When the pallet comes in, he calls and I come running to download the pallet ... no stock boy cost for him.  The end result is that the lump was packed at the plant, trucked a couple hundred miles to the store, and then, only handled by me ... minimal waste.  My son and I get good lump at a good price and my lump pusher makes a profit with none of the usual overhead.  All of us are happy.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Jeepster47 Yep. Volume orders is the way to go. Especially if you can do a mini group buy with other local eggheads. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • eggnewtoy
    Options
    @stlcharcoal, I did go to Hoffhers--impressive.  Very knowledgable and meat was really great.  Bought st. louis ribs that were excellent along with other goodies.  Great find.  
    BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.