Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

AR/Woo Confusion. Help Please?

Options
I know it's been discussed in the forum before and I've e-mailed The Ceramic Grill Store but I am still lost. Let me tell you what I got and what I plan to do and then hopefully someone can tell me what to get.

I have a large BGE with a BGE plate setter and of course the stock grate.
I want to occasionally do 2 levels of grid cooking at the same time and I want to do pizza.
I definitely need something soon because I plan to do a Turkey for Thanksgiving, Brisket that Saturday lunch and pork shoulder for Sunday lunch.

Looks like the Woo is made to work with the plate setter. But it looks like it might just be for a single level grid. I could have the stock grate on the PS, then the woo and then another grid. That bottom grid is likely too low for a dual grid cook I am guessing.

So then there's the AR. Definitely versatile in dual grid levels. Looks like using the PS with it is out, but I'm not opposed to that. Looked at the 2 combos they offer and I'm not sure which to get.

The Large Adjustable Rig Customer Combo looks like it might be what I need, but I'd have to add the extender. Is the small ceramic stone in the spider enough for blocking direct heat to do pizza? The spider might be nice for a small CI grid for hot sears on steaks as well.

The newer Large Adjustable Rig R & B Oval Combo with the extender is interesting but I'm not sure about the oval stone they offer with it. In my mind, I'm thinking round is better, especially for pizza. But it has the sliding shelves which could be handy.

This looks like a case of liking features from both but neither one fits my needs exact. If I try to piece it together, then the price is really high. Right now, I THINK I am leaning toward the new R&B Oval Combo and having to add round stones to do pizza. Or is the Woo the way I should be going?

Any input on what I should get?
Aledo, Texas
Large BGE
KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

Comments

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited November 2015
    Options

It seems that you've already done the requisite research.
    IF, as you said, you only look to do "occasionally do 2 levels of grid cooking at the same time", then the Woo2 with the extender should serve you well.

Note: When using the Woo2 with the Woo extender, you'll only have about 4" of clearance between the upper and lower tiers.

Hope that helps.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @tjv Insight
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I have the woo2 with extender and platesetter and it serves my needs.  Seriously, just call the CGS.  They will give you direct and honest advice and you will get what you need.
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    PSWoo & woo extender is what you need. 
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    If all you're wanting is to just add a second level here is a really cheap option.

Pick up an extra Weber grid at Lowe's or Home Depot and some long stainless bolts for legs and you have a second level.

I want an AR but this has worked well so far
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    If you go with the R+B AR the stone is perfect for ribs and brisket. You can compare the round stone measurements to the oval stone for comparison. You can cut them out in cardboard and put them in your grill and see what you think.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Woo and extender works great on my large egg
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    The simplicity of the Woo and extender are great...
    The Adj Rig will give you many more future options/set-ups.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I had the platesetter.  I said screw it, and gave the platesetter to a friend and went all out on the AR, spider, round stone, and extender, and I'm glad I did.

Using the spider and the round stone gives you and extra level in the AR (that is otherwise taken up by the oval stone).  If I'm doing something long like ribs or brisket, I just use foil to protect the overhang.

The round stone down on the spider with your pizza stone up on the extender works GREAT for pizza.  Having the stone way up in the dome really helps with cooking the top of the pizza with radiant heat off of the ceramic.

What I did is probably more expensive than the other solutions, but it's very versatile and I've been super happy with it.  CGS has great service and great products.  The price tag only hurts once.

Well worth it, IMO.
    NOLA
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    call me tomorrow, we can work it through,  It's not hard.  

Simple question to ask yourself.  Is the egg just a grill, then PSwoo with extender/D grid.  If the egg is your new hobby, then start with a simple Rig package that does most of your cooks.  Once you have the Rig, then playing with new or differing set-ups is not only fun but it will expand your egging capabilities.  Folks are still teaching me new ways to use it. 

NPHuskerFL said:
    @tjv Insight
    thanks for the tickle on the thread........lol

Tom
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • bob.bud
    bob.bud Posts: 297
    Options
    after talking to Tom, I went with the Large Adjustable Rig R & B Oval Combo and have no regrets. I'd recommend the R&B - with the multiple level and the oval stone, you don't have to worry about your ribs getting exposure to the heat wave that is not shielded by the round stone. However, you will find that many people would weigh in and say they do just fine with the round stone. So many choices...

I was in your shows 5 months ago... good luck.
    Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    Large AR Rib/Brisket combo here, too.   The oval ceramic does a great job of deflecting heat and takes away the standard hot spot at the back of the Egg near the hinge.  Pizzas are on a stone, so it doesn't affect pizzas.  I can cook 180 chicken wings, 4 whole butts, a 18 lb brisket or 6 full racks of uncut ribs at one time.     The R&B combo is better than a 2nd Egg.  
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    I also have the AR/oval stone set up and the spider and round stone. Using that setup, you can cook on 3 levels if you need to with the stone on the spider. Also the spider/round stone is great if you decide to use a wok. Seriously, the price only hurts once and you will thank yourself years from now for making a wise choice on really top notch, quality equipment. Just call Tom.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Woo and extender for me.

Jacksonville FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @Toxaech- given you have a platesetter then the PS woo2 and extender shown above will allow you to use the ps.  If you want to ditch the ps then go with a combo set-up and stone.  Regardless, give Tom at CGS a call and you will get straight info to help steer you in the right direction.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Lots of good advice above ... although talking it over with Tom will help fine tune the results.  What no one has said is that neither choice is wrong/bad/dumb/stupid.  Either set up will work much better than what you have right now.

If after talking with Tom (or his wife Terri, who's much nicer to talk with) you're still waking up late at night thinking about which one to buy ... then buy a second large egg so that you can have a Woo equipped egg and an AR equipped egg ... both with extenders.  That's really the best of both worlds.  Yep, that's my set up.  Which do I use the most?  The PSWoo2 set up.  Probably around 80% of the time.  But then, most of the time I'm cooking for two.  The AR equipped egg comes into play when cooking larger meals ... or when I feel a little stupid for having it and not using it!

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    @Jeepster47 Why cook on the Woo2 when cooking for 2? How is it different than cooking on the AR for 2?
    Most all my cooks are for 2. But on the holidays, it turns into cooking for anywhere from 10 to 60 depending on how much of the family gets invited.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    I love the beauty of simple solutions.  The PSWoo2 fits into that category.  1) Place the OEM grill on the fire ring for direct cooking.  2) Place the PSWoo2 on the fire ring and add the OEM grill for raised direct cooking.  3) Slide the plate setter into the PSWoo2, place that combo on the fire ring, and add the OEM grill for raised indirect cooking.

Three items and you have 90% of the cooking configurations covered when cooking for two.  Plus, you have the full 18" diameter grill available at all times.

The AR is a great addition to your arsenal, but it is lacking in simplicity.  Kind of like playing with an erector set ... two of these, one of those ... hmmm do these things go in the first notch or the second?

Want to cook two racks of baby backs laid flat on the grill?  That's where the oval stone and the AR really shine.  But, even in that situation you can add a PSWoo platform and an oval stone to the basic PSWoo2 and baby backs are fully protected from direct radiation.

Again, you can't make a bad decision with either set-up ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Get them both..  I've used both..  and I feel it's my forum responsibility to tell you that if there is a remote chance you will ever need both, you should buy all of it.   B)

No accessory left unturned! 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. It was all helpful. I decided to go with the R&B combo with 2 oval racks. The ability to swap the racks quickly to get an even cook and the ability to have different levels of height adjustment won out in the end.

Now I need to figure out how to cook all that meat on the grill for the Thanksgiving weekend.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    edited November 2015
    Options

I believe you made the right choice for the cooks you want to do. The quality of the CGS product is superb. I have an XL and bought the AR/Woo2 combo which was right for me. I got rid of a lot of makeshift items in my storage box and can do all of the cooks I could do before and have even more versatility. I am sure you will be pleased with your purchase, it is truly a buy once, cry once item. 

For the turkey, invertabird (tank you @littlesteven) or spatchcock work best for me.

A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa