Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Must have for an egg fest?

Options
i need some tips guys! 

I mi am doing my first egg fest (only about 10 cooks)

i am am doing two slabs of baby backs and some pig shots. After a couple guys mentioned them I am excited to make them.

so real question is : WHAT ARE ARE AOME MUST HAVES FOR AN EGG FEST? Maybe some things that you wish you would have known before cooking and serving

thanks!

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Quick cooks are usually best since you can cook multiple items for samples. 

Make sure you walk around and enjoy the fest as well.

Bring disposable gloves for your hands

Table provided? Extra table is nice

Folding chair/chairs

All cooking tools for your cooks

Most importantly - BEER!!!!!

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    stickers ... lots of stickers :smiley: 

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Is this an Egg Fest, or a demo at your dealer?  If a demo, @NPHuskerFL could give some tips I bet.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Is this an Egg Fest, or a demo at your dealer?  If a demo, @NPHuskerFL could give some tips I bet.  
    I think it's more of a demo, but they are calling it a fest, but regardless, I would rather do my first cook at something small like that, rather than the pressure of a bug fest
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Thing above plus plates, forks, tooth picks etc. Paper towels, Clorox wipes, lots of tongs, foil, knives, cutting boards, thermo pen. If you have it bring it. I assume they provide lump and starting devices? Music? 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Ribs are kind of an Egg Hog.
    They take several hours cook and don't provide many samples for the cook time.
    Like others said, think shorter cooks that you can prep the night before and just toss on the Egg. More like the pig shots.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    10 cooks...how many Eggs?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • outrageous
    Options
    I would question ribs for a fest or demo,  takes too much time.  most fests or demos, you are cooking something simple to hand out as samples,  you want to show the versatility of the egg.   if u do ribs, you might want to cook the ribs maybe 75% the day before and finish at fest.  whatever u decide u will have fun, enjoy u day, it will turn out fine.   also, whatever u forget, others cooks will pitch in n supply for you. Again, enjoy.

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I'm not knocking your ribs idea, but keep in mind the length of time it will take and even then two racks means just 26 ribs. I have seen people also do ribs at our 13 fests and the thing is nearly over, public has thinned out and everybody is full! I have also seen people do turkey breasts and met the same ill timing. My advice is to plan on smaller items in the bite or two size as people are there to sample not stand at one booth or two and eat their fill. Another example are pizzas, just don't cut them like you do at home so there are only 8 slices! Instead cross hatch cut them into 1 or 2 bite sizes. HTH
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think you mentioned they are going to let you show up early to start cooking so I think you might be ok with the ribs.  You may want to bump up the temp to cook them a little faster.

Another useful thing would be a couple of pizza screens or disposable grill toppers.  It makes it much easier to move things to and from the egg.  I really like pizza screens for this but I don't know where to buy them locally only on Amazon.   Walmart usually has disposable grill toppers.  

It was mentioned already but some gloves/oven mitts for moving hot stuff off the egg.   

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• slovelad
    Options

I i prepped the pig shots, did about 40 of them. Half with spicy Cajun sausages and half with regular Italian .

made a couple samples for myself, they are fantastic.

as for the ribs, I may do a turbo 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Stuff a couple pork tenderloins. If you have a Costco membership you can get 4 for under $20. They cook in like 45 minutes.
  • Photo Egg
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Lit said:
    Stuff a couple pork tenderloins. If you have a Costco membership you can get 4 for under $20. They cook in like 45 minutes.
    Great idea, and stuffing them would also be over top...could make each one a little different. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    In addition to the things mentioned in the previous posts, bring packing tape, or tablecloth clips to hold down the tablecloths (done too may windy fests). I also print copies of the recipes of whatever I'm cooking.

I cooked at 6 Eggfests in the past 2 years and agree that you should consider cooking something that cooks quickly (less than an hour). The attendees love to watch you cook and like sampling the results. In the past I've done corn on the cob, salmon, bar towel pork tenderloin, ABTs Pig Shots, moink balls, dates wrapped in bacon.

You want to show the versatility of the egg and you want to do something simple enough that they can see themselves doing the same thing. Be sure to take time to visit the other cooks and sample their food. Good Luck and Have Fun!

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Wings

375 raised direct - 35-45 minutes

Oakwood BBQ Habanero Death Dust

Boom

New Albany, Ohio 

• slovelad
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    10 cooks...how many Eggs?
    10 eggs . All large eggs.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Maybe I missed this but, how long time wise is the demo/mini fest?  How many eggs?  Are you supplying your own egg and food to egg?  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    I saw the 10LBGE response.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • slovelad
    Options
    Maybe I missed this but, how long time wise is the demo/mini fest?  How many eggs?  Are you supplying your own egg and food to egg?  
    Not sure how long it will last. But all eggs are brand new from the store.

its just to promote their store, thu have evrything in the store 15percent off.

all pizza wear is 20 percent off, may have to pick some of that up
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Sounds like it'll be a fun gathering. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    10 cooks and 10 Eggs out front of the store...I say go for the ribs and work your apps around the outside of your ribs or on a raised grid above them.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • slovelad
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    10 cooks and 10 Eggs out front of the store...I say go for the ribs and work your apps around the outside of your ribs or on a raised grid above them.
    That's my plan, going to do them semi-turbo, at 325 for 1.5 hours. Then I will bring down the temp to about 275 to cook to apps
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    I think that's a solid plan best ribs I ever made were done very similar on the fourth of July when things came up and time was of the essence.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season.