Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Halibut

Options
Chris
Chris Posts: 148
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So if you read my other post, you know I have a lot of fish to work with here, and I definitely want to smoke some. I've only ever smoked some trout (thanks to another great recipe on here) and will need as many details as I can get for the halibut. Recipe, brine, technique. Anything would help. Again, I really appreciate the help. Thanks!

Comments

• alternity
    alternity Posts: 49
    Options
    Chris,
    My favorite is smoked chub, found it by a dockside smoke house in Minnesota once and it was the best. Any fish can be smoked but ones with more fat content cure up best.[p]I'd try to make something like cold smoked fish or gravalox. I am not sure about hallibut but it would would probably do good with a Cup of salt to 1/3 cup sugar or, a commercial product call "Morton's Sugar Cure". Set it for 6 or more hours if they're large chunks.."Diferential salt" to the fatter parts (you just have to experiment I can't really say how much I use).[p]The longer you brine your product the saltier it will be so adjust the salt and water rinse, to little rinse-salty and too much can bloat it so it dosent cure well at all. [p]Maybe try to add a sugar/dark rum 'paste' for a while as it continues to air dry cure (the fish wont even need : refrigeration,this forms the pellicle layer that takes the smoke flavor on so nice.[p]If its more on the salty side you can keep it for over 10 days in the refridge. Light saly means you have to eat it up faster. Once its done if you seal it up it can last over 2 years in a freezer 0 degrees or less.[p]Then smoke over apple, cherry, alder, hickory, anything but mesquite _very_ lightly! go for about 30-60 minutes. If you get the temps over 100 you risk cooking the fish and ruin the lox like texture.

• Chris
    Chris Posts: 148
    Options
    alternity,[p]Thanks a ton. That sounds like some really useful stuff for me. Definitely going to try that out on some.[p]A few (naive?) but quick questions:
    1. should I do all this with skin-on?
    2. should I halve the filets? They're a good 2-3" thick in spots and this seems like a bit thick and I was wondering if i should thin them out.
    3. smoke temp: ~200 deg?[p]Thanks again!