Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adjustable rig?

Options
I hear a lot on this forum about an adjustable rig being a great thing to have for my large BGE.....can I get some insight into exactly what this does and where I can get one?  I'm very interested in the increased cooking space but not sure of anything about this...thank you in advance!

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    There are several different combinations you can build, but it's a customizable multilevel cooking surface available from the Ceramic Grill Store.

See here:  http://ceramicgrillstore.com/large-adjustable-rig-customer-combo/

The whole system can get pricey, but I've been very happy with mine.

NOLA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    I don't have the adjustable rig but do use the PSWoo2 and extender with great results from the ceramic grill store.   Here's the link to the aftermarket company that makes top-quality products for all sized BGE's.  http://ceramicgrillstore.com/ I'm sure AR owners will be along soon.

And I recall you posting a couple of years back about your relationship to the great  WWII Admiral, William F.  "Bull" Halsey.  A truly great American hero and member of  the "greatest Generation".
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    They are expensive but I bought two one for a large and XL.  There is a lot of info on the website it takes time to understand it all so have some patience. 
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    They are worth it. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    I just bought one for my XL. I'll agree it's pricey but it's probably something you'll get a lot of use out of so IMHO it's justified.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    A couple hundred gets you in the game. Worth it and it dramatically increases cooking space and provides opportunity to explore new cooking techniques.   
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    It's great.  I would go with the R&B combo. Ribs and Brisket.  It's got an oval stone that will cover an entire rack of baby backs without burning. CGS has excellent products that are not cheap.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    jhl192 said:
    It's great.  I would go with the R&B combo. Ribs and Brisket.  It's got an oval stone that will cover an entire rack of baby backs without burning. CGS has excellent products that are not cheap.  

I went with the round stone and spider, and I'm glad I did.  Using the round stone on the spider gives you another level on the AR since you don't have to use it for the stone, and, well, you also have the spider for when you want to drop some cast iron or a wok lower over the spider.

If I'm doing ribs or brisket, I just use foil to extend the coverage of the stone and protect the ends.
    NOLA
  • A31unit
    A31unit Posts: 199
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I don't have the adjustable rig but do use the PSWoo2 and extender with great results from the ceramic grill store.   Here's the link to the aftermarket company that makes top-quality products for all sized BGE's.  http://ceramicgrillstore.com/ I'm sure AR owners will be along soon.

And I recall you posting a couple of years back about your relationship to the great  WWII Admiral, William F.  "Bull" Halsey.  A truly great American hero and member of  the "greatest Generation".
    +1
    LBGE. Plate setter, PS Woo2, Flame Boss 200.  Moorestown, South Jersey (about 15 min outside of Philly, Don't hold it against me.  I would most likely rather live where you are)
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    jhl192 said:

I went with the round stone and spider, and I'm glad I did.  Using the round stone on the spider gives you another level on the AR since you don't have to use it for the stone, and, well, you also have the spider for when you want to drop some cast iron or a wok lower over the spider.

If I'm doing ribs or brisket, I just use foil to extend the coverage of the stone and protect the ends.
    I bought r&b combo with the metal ring to fashion the perfect  alum foil drip pan.  I then later added the spyder and 13" stone as I tired of making my own drip pans.  I THEN added the extender.    It's a fantastic erector set of versatility, as valuable and necessary as the thermapen :-)   I then added a cyberq and I can hold 225 or 275 or whatever rock solid for hours with no stress.   This forum has cost me some dough but I am rib, boston butt and steak searing hero to the family.   Before these toys I  couldn't even cook a steak on a gasser
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL