Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deer tenderloin!

Options
All I got was a shot before they came off the grill but hey it's a picture so it happened. I cooked 2 half tenderloins last night one with Game On and the other with Red Eye Express. 400 direct for about 40 minutes with a small hickory and apple chunk. Then pulled to the other side to stay warm with the vents still cracked since the guests were late. Had a nice amount of red/ pink in the middle and full of juice and flavor. They didn't really have the gamey taste that my wife hates. I think the smoke really cut it.
Dyersburg, TN

Comments

• HarrisFrampton
    Options
    Looks great. Im hoping to put some of those in the freezer this weekend.
    Wimberley,TX
    X-Large,Large, Medium and Small
    17" and 28" Blackstones
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Glad to see someone using Game On on the very thing it was developed for!

great stuff. Venison is a favorite here. Unfortunately rare to come by.  Havent hunted in thirty years. And sucked at it when i did.  Haha

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    Thanks guys. Not too hard to get here I usually hunt for trophies like this guy below from last thanksgiving until December 15th and then it's meat from then on until I get about 3 maybe 4 which isn't hard if I can get 350 yards or closer.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Did I read that right? 400 direct for 40 minutes?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Looks good, but I'm wondering the same as @Griffin.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • leemschu
    Options
    Yes give or take a few. It was tender enough to eat with a fork. It was probably right around medium the small one a little more but not over done.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • Jellyworm
    Options
    =)=) Very nice buck, but here medium is over done!
    Large BGE
    Houston, TX
  • boboegg
    boboegg Posts: 46
    Options
    I have always had problems with venison on the egg because there is virtually no fat. The long and slow just produces dry and not very tender meat. The tender loin aside, what other meats should I compare venison to?  More like beef?  Clearly not like pork. There's not enough fat to cook it like a brisket.
    LBGE, Lawrenceville, GA
  • leemschu
    Options
    This was almost like a beef tenderloin when sliced.

Jellyworm said:
    =)=) Very nice buck, but here medium is over done!
    The wife wouldn't have gone for medium rare where I like it so I went medium for her. Haven't been married a month so I can't make her mad yet.
    Dyersburg, TN