Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jesse James BBQ Contest

Options
This weekend I helped my brother in law's brother at the Jesse James BBQ Contest in Kearney, MO.  I had a blast and learned a lot.  I mostly took photos and gave my opinion on what looked and tasted good.  Their team name is Porkiritaville and took Reserve Grand Champion.  Squeal Like a Pig was Grand Champion.  He has one Pit Masters before, I gotta to meet him Friday night before cooking started.  He gave me some of his rub and sauce.  Very nice guy and easy to talk to.  Looks like I am going to help them pot at the American Royal BBQ Contest in 2 weeks.  That should be fun.  They took 1st in chicken, 3rd in pork, 8th in ribs and 14th in brisket.  I did not get to stay for the results, but hope they do well again at the Royal.  Enjoy the photos. 
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Looks like a great time!! I really want to do this when I don't suck as much at this. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Awesome... Thanks for sharing
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bill37
    bill37 Posts: 127
    Options
    I would love to just observe. Looks like a great time. Congrats!!!!
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    bill37 said:
    I would love to just observe. Looks like a great time. Congrats!!!!
    That's what I started out doing by just taking pictures, then giving me 2 cents on what looked and tasted good.  My friend chose not to put burnt ends into the box, because they were to chewy and that could hurt you more.  The brisket was good, but I thought it may have been a little over done.  He cooked the point separate from the flat.  I think it would be better together.  He was going more on temp I think then feel too.  He did really well on the whole contest and I don't know if it is my place to say anything.  I will be helping them out at the American Royal BBQ in 2 weeks.  Maybe I can suggest a few things or bring another brisket and cook one my way and one his way to see which one is the best.  I am really looking forward to helping out, but the computation will be tough with well over 600 entries.  I will post photos of that so be on the look out for them.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    that would be nice just to observe and the smells would be great to
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited September 2015
    Options
    That looks great, sounds like a fun day.

Ps.. didn't realize you had such an affinity for cats?  =)

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    That looks great, sounds like a fun day.

Ps.. didn't realize you had such an affinity for cats?  =)

That is just wrong in so many ways.  I wouldn't be caught dead warring anything like that.  I'm a dog person not cat by the way.

Kansas City, Mo.