Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wireless Thermometer Questions

Options
Hello all!
I need your help.  I am wanting a wireless thermometer and I do not want to spend a lot of money.  I have narrowed down to the igrill 2 and the Maverick.  Any thoughts, complaints or other input on these two devices?  Also I am open to other options.  These two just looked to be the most economical. 
http://www.stlbbqstore.com/thermometers/maverick-et-732-black/
http://www.stlbbqstore.com/temperature-control-systems/igrill-2-bluetooth-thermometer/

LBGE And MINI Egg

Comments

• VooDuuChild
    Options
    I have the maverick and it is awesome.   KEEP INSTRUCTIONS.  While it's not difficult to use it's good to have them on hand.  I am using it right now with my Cyberq Wifi in case the power goes out again.  My backup is already running.  Brisket is smelling goooood
    1) XLBGE                  1) PK's Pro 100 pound capacity commercial grade electric smoker
    2) Chief smokers        1) Brinkmann...first smoker...gave to a buddy after years of great service.
    1) Char Broil Gas grill  1) Square Char Broil coal grill   1) Round XL Weber round coal grill
    1) Rotisserie for the Weber grill (AWESOME).....I don't have a problem, I can stop anytime I want...I can.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    If Bluetooth works for you then igrill2 is a good option.  Otherwise I had a good experience with the Maverick. The probes can be finicky though if you don't baby them. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I have had a Mav 732 for about two years and it is great.  I wrap the probe wires in foil to protect them from direct heat and get great service.
    Check Amazon for pricing; it's better than what you are showing.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • EAT
    EAT Posts: 39
    Options
    Now the Maverick ET 733 in Amazon. 
    I also agree to wrap probes wire in foil. 
  • bob.bud
    bob.bud Posts: 297
    Options
    I have been using an iGrill. It has worked fine and I like the way it graphs the temp for you. I wish it would save the temp profile of your cooks. My only real complaint is that it often drops the connection. It does not matter if I am close or at the limits of the range, it just randomly loses connection to my phone. Other than that, it has served me well. 
    Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Just got the maverick et 735 blue tooth and it seems nice.   Has great range, had it out back and was able to get signal from back of house to end of drive way 145-170 feet.  Also able to get signal while on second floor of the house.  I liked that it has four probes available and they are water proof.  The other big thing is that the probes are easy to get and cheap. last but not least et735 is $79.00 vs $100 for the igrill2.  Hope to cook with my et 735 this weekend and write up a good review.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• flynnbob
    Options
    Vote for the Maverick.  Works great
    Milton, GA.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I have an iGrill2 and am happy with it. I have no experience with the Maverick so cannot provide any comparisons for you.  Some random thoughts about the iGrill2:
    • Bluetooth signals have their limits. I get a good signal into my kitchen or living room. Egg is on the back patio and the signal has to go through one concrete block wall.  It does not get through two concrete block walls very well (loses signal if I go into the front yard).
    • The unit is not water proof. Considering this is designed for outdoor use, this is a limitation. I normally cover the unit with the green ceramic cap from the egg to protect it from rain (since I use a smokeware cap this is the only use I have for the ceramic top).
    • I like the user interface on the iPad. Tip: remember to turn up the volume control in order to be able to hear the alarms.
    • The temp probes fit in the hole on the egg dome, so you can use the iGrill2 to monitor dome temps.
    • The accuracy of the probes is ok for use in monitoring cooks, but not for precise temps.  The probes on my unit vary from each other a degree or two and by two or three from my Thermapen.
    • The ability to capture an image of the cook graphic works well. The export of the data for use in spreadsheets does not format the data in a way that I like. It may be the way I think and not the file format itself, but I find that I have to manipulate the data more than I think I should have to before it is useful.
    • It does not seem to retain the data from a cook when you turn off the unit. I wish it would retain the data for the past several cooks. 

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I have a Maverick and like it a lot. Signal gets from the patio to any point in my house including my basement office. 
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    I use a Maverick and it's worked fine for me.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • 78 T140E
    Options
    I've used a Maverick 733 for about a year.  It works great!
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    I've got a 732 that is many years old and still going on the first set of probes ... I do rap with foil, but still.  I've got a six month old 733 that sees occasional use ... it's my back up unit. 

The only complaint I've got is the diameter of the probes ... they don't have to be that large of a diameter.  I've monitored the meat temp between the ribs on a St Louis cut with my Flame Boss unit where the probes are very small in diameter.  Can't do that very well with the Maverick probes.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max