Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

REPAIR FOR CRACKED XL BASE

Options
I have an XL egg and when moving it i ended up with a hair line crack in the base.  Anyone repaired one or had experience with that?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    did you look it over before moving it, those hairline cracks just happen from cooking, usually starting in the lower vent corners. it would be covered under warranty. moving an egg the cracks chips are usually more severe looking
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mgerry
    mgerry Posts: 2
    Options
    PRETTY SURE IT WAS FROM MOVING.BUMPED IT ON MY CONCRETE STEPS AS I WAS MOVING IT FROM MY POOL UP TO MY GARAGE.   IT IS A LARGER CRACK THAT RUNS FROM BOTTOM OF CASE AT AN INCREASING ANGLE TO THE TOP.  I DO SEE A SMALLER ONE AT AT THE START OF THE VENT CORNER THAT COULD BE FROM COOKING.  THANKS.  WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS TRIED TO REPAIR ON THE INTERIOR SIDE WITH SOME HIGH TEMP CEMENT OR SOMETHING? I APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    if theres no big chip in the glaze from banging it into the concrete, its still more likely its a stress crack from heat. i would not trust that egg near anything combustible, cement will not fix it and it would be a low and slow cooker only
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Did you buy it new? If it's a heat crack you should get a new base from the dealer through your warranty 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    Did you buy it new? If it's a heat crack you should get a new base from the dealer through your warranty 
    Sounds like OP is taking the high road (good for him) and saying he does not believe it is a heat crack but was caused during his move. It's tough to swallow but I commend him for it.

How long have you had the egg and how did you pay for it? Maybe it is covered under a credit card purchase protection plan.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Sorry for your mishap. Even if it's your fault, doesn't hurt to contact mothership and share your dilemma with them. You never know, they may replace it out of goodwill or give you a break, pun intended!  Remember the "Devastated" marathon?  =)  ;)
    canuckland
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If it's not a blatant drop with a chip it's quite possible the crack was already there before the bump. Take pics and submit. Worse that could happen is a claim denial. I don't find this to be at all shady considering you don't "KNOW FOR SURE" if it was caused from usage or bump. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL