Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lowest Thermopen price ever

Options
2»

Comments

• Pridnjoy
    Pridnjoy Posts: 130
    Options
    @blasting ... I think it's that ugly regionalism rearing it's head again.  See, @Ladeback69 lives in one of those flyover states ... Chubbs, lives in one of those Southern states.  Look at where the preponderance of posters place their posteriors ... yep, Southern state folks. 
    Possible. But I also think the fact Chubbs posted hours before could have something to do with it. I know that's why I ended up on the Thermoworks site filling my cart. 
  • Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    Options
    Pridnjoy said:
    @blasting ... I think it's that ugly regionalism rearing it's head again.  See, @Ladeback69 lives in one of those flyover states ... Chubbs, lives in one of those Southern states.  Look at where the preponderance of posters place their posteriors ... yep, Southern state folks. 
    Possible. But I also think the fact Chubbs posted hours before could have something to do with it. I know that's why I ended up on the Thermoworks site filling my cart. 
    This^^ I saw the other post later but have never been interested in being an interweb cop to post the dupe card smiley.
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    MJG said:
    I just can't justify this with the Thermopop. I'll wait the extra second or two. These guys canibalized their own product. If the pop wasn't so great I would get one of these for sure. 
    I'm not sure they really canibalized their own product. Their profit margin on the pop may be better than the pen. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    DMW said:
    Great price for sure. Between this and the color closeouts that have been occurring fairly frequently lately, I wonder if they have a Thermapen v2 in the works?
    Aren't they already on v3 or something already? My Thermapens are many years old and they use those damn, not always easy to find little 12v batteries. I would guess when they changed to a different battery type a while back that was v2 (or maybe just v1.2). Then the splashproof, then the backlit.

But it could be that they do have a complete redesign coming out.

My guess is that since there is a lot more competition these days they may be feeling  the hit to their sales at their normal prices.

I bought a couple of the Lavatools Javelin thermos a few months ago and have been very satisfied with them, especially considering they are only $25 each. 
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Interesting, I posted about this hours ago and got no hits, but it is a great deal.  
    Guess it is because I posted it a good bit earlier. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    Options
    Just ordered another for another gift
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    MJG said:
    I just can't justify this with the Thermopop. I'll wait the extra second or two. These guys canibalized their own product. If the pop wasn't so great I would get one of these for sure. 
    I'm not sure they really canibalized their own product. Their profit margin on the pop may be better than the pen. 
    Yeah, you might be right. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • Satch_Q
    Satch_Q Posts: 105
    Options
    So, I woke up to an email yesterday regarding this sale. Promptly ordered one with standard ground shipping and I arrive home tonight and find this at the door. What a pleasant surprise!
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Satch_Q said:
    So, I woke up to an email yesterday regarding this sale. Promptly ordered one with standard ground shipping and I arrive home tonight and find this at the door. What a pleasant surprise!
    They ship out of Utah if I remember right.  So that might be part of it where you at?
  • Satch_Q
    Satch_Q Posts: 105
    Options
    That would explain it. I had no idea they were so close to home. I'm in Sandy, UT
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Satch_Q said:
    That would explain it. I had no idea they were so close to home. I'm in Sandy, UT
    Just looked at their website.  American fork.  I'm down in St George.  There are a few other Utah eggers on here as well.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Okay, you broke me down.  I ordered the darn pen!
    It's not that I'm unhappy with my current thermometer, but I hope to some day attend a cook with one of you fine people and I suspect I will not be allowed in until I show my thermopen at the door.  :lol: 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Okay, you broke me down.  I ordered the darn pen!
    It's not that I'm unhappy with my current thermometer, but I hope to some day attend a cook with one of you fine people and I suspect I will not be allowed in until I show my thermopen at the door.  :lol: 
    Haha. The only reason you will be unhappy is that you didn't buy it sooner! =)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I bought an open box thermopen several years ago, and during the warranty period, it started acting up as if there's a bad connection (broken wire?) such that when swung open, it may or may not work, but if you swing it a little more in either direction, it toggles that state.  I didn't want to be without it, so I never got around to sending it in.

I'm tempted to spring for an open box backlit model, and then maybe disassemble my old one and see if I can fix it.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    This sale ends today. Just FYI
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013