Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - My ghetto griddle

Options

Ok, so y'all have been killing me with all of the good food being cooked on a griddle. My problem is I don't need a big honkin' Blackstone - it's just me and my wife. I did want more thermal mass than my little griddle for the stove. Since necessity is the mother of invention, I plopped a piece of plate steel on the fish fryer burner I use for my wok (the steel is seasoned - I used to use it with my gasser). 

It worked out to be a solution that "scratched my itch" so to speak. I thought some of you might get a kick out of my work around.

Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    That's awesome!! I need something like that for my RV.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    COOL! You might want to consider this upgrade later!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    SciAggie said:

I plopped a piece of plate steel on the fish fryer burner I use for my wok (the steel is seasoned - I used to use it with my gasser). 

Got a Weber? Pile the coals at one end and you have two zone heat. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @Carolina Q No Weber, but I get two zone heat with my setup if I scoot the steel to one side - there's only one burner under the plate. I see that great minds think alike...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Necessity is the mother of invention.  Well done.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    That's not ghetto, that's using what you have. When I was in school, we took a smaller sized (probably 2 foot diameter) disk from bigger tiller and seasoned it up and used it as a wok for tailgate breakfasts. Bests sausage, bacon and egg burritos I've ever had came from that thing.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited August 2015
    Options
    tamu2009 said:
    That's not ghetto, that's using what you have. When I was in school, we took a smaller sized (probably 2 foot diameter) disk from bigger tiller and seasoned it up and used it as a wok for tailgate breakfasts. Bests sausage, bacon and egg burritos I've ever had came from that thing.
    I have a plow disk wok - they are great. I just don't cook for enough folks anymore to use it; I prefer my 14" wok for me and my wife. 
    Now that I think about it, I'm wondering about Philly cheesesteak on the plow disk...
    oh, and gig 'em!
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon