Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting grill up to 700 degrees! URGENT

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Steaks are supposed to be seared at 700 degrees according to the Big Green Egg Cook Book. I cannot get the temperature to rise over 425 degrees, no matter what I do. Can you please tell me what my problem is. Thanks so much. Larry Burgess

Comments

• actiondcpd
    Options
    Larry Burgess,[p]Make sure the ash is all cleaned out, put a bunch of lump in the firebox, open the vents all the way. It will max out the dial on the temp. gauge.

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Larry Burgess,
    A goodly portion of lump is helpful, your not likely to get really high temps with a handful of lump. No cap on the top of any sort and the bottom vent wide open. Sometimes old/used lump takes a bit longer. You should also stir the left over lump around to cause the ash to drop down below the grate and clear any blockages to the air holes around the side of the fire box and on the grate itself.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    actiondcpd,
    agreed. . .make sure you have load of lump at least to the top of the firebox.. . .also, make sure hole in front of firebox is lined up properly with lower vent opening. ...finally, open bottom vent wide and have daisy wheel completely removed from top of dome. .. .you should be going nuclear in no-time. . .

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    actiondcpd,
    Thats another good point. If you have a lot of ash in the bottom it can restrict airflow.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Larry Burgess,
    are you taking the daisy wheel completly off the egg, opening the lower vent all the way, and filling the lump half way up the fire ring well over the fire box. also make sure the fire box opening is in line with the vent opening

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Larry Burgess,
    1. Are you using enough lump?
    2. Are you too full of ash that it's blocking airflow?[p]You need to have the top (no lid) and bottom vents all the way open....I usually just leave my lid up after things get going....even during the sear. [p]Good luck.[p]Mike

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Larry Burgess,
    take off the daisy wheel entirely, and leave the lid down to establish a raging fire.[p]you can keep the lid up or down when you finally toss the meat on, but i find fatty cuts will flare like crazy if the lid is up/open.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    Options
    Larry Burgess, It's been a busy day, moving my office. I am not sure what others have said, but at those temps. watch out for mr. flashback. Your friendly public service reminder. Tom

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    nothin like warnin someone about somethin but not tellin em what it is!hahahaha

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Brobear
    Brobear Posts: 43
    Options
    Larry Burgess,[p]Make sure the fire grate is not upside down. The holes are conical, and if it is upside down, the holes will clog in a hurry. I had the same problem. Maybe I am the only one that would put the fire grate in backwards :).