Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Tongue Fun!

Options
IPASooner
IPASooner Posts: 208
edited July 2015 in EggHead Forum
Last weekend (after dry curing with salt and pepper corns for two days in the fridge) I smoked a whole beef tongue, indirect, for about 2 hours at 250 with some pecan wood. Then I braised in a traditional red wine braise (Carrot, celery, onion, garlic, herbs, etc.) for about 5 hours. I know it looks weird but has a super-rich meaty flavor (kind of a combo of short ribs and bone marrow).

First night I made sandwiches with sliced tongue, broccoli rabe relish and horseradish cream served, of course, with duck fat fries. 

Night 2 was Beef tongue tostadas...these were definitely the favorite!

LBGE

Marblehead, MA

Comments

• bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    And ya'll talk about us eating Chitlins?    ;)
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    You've put that together like a true chef, and your finished products looks amazing.  I just couldn't do the tongue though.
    Phoenix 
  • IPASooner
    Options
    Thanks so much @blasting - I understand what you are saying and it's not something you would want to eat every day. If you can get beyond the original appearance, the finished product can be really tasty!
    LBGE

Marblehead, MA
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    Outstanding.  I'll take 5 sandwiches on rye with mustard, please.  

In my house, it's just me and my 17 y/o son who'll eat tongue.  Usually at 2nd Avenue Deli in NYC, and more often than not with a split of a pastrami and chopped liver combo.  I call it The Heart Punch Special and it's a good thing I can't get it any time I want it.  
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • IPASooner
    Options
    now you're talking @HendersonTRKing
    LBGE

Marblehead, MA
  • humbleprisoner
    Options
    This must be a northern dish/delicacy correct? I have only seen beef tongue used as a gag gift for dirty santa. I never actually thought anyone ate them.

Cooking for others enjoyment is not only a passionate reward, it's one of the greatest ways to use what God has given me. Wilmore, KY MBG, LBGE

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    This must be a northern dish/delicacy correct? I have only seen beef tongue used as a gag gift for dirty santa. I never actually thought anyone ate them.
    My favorite local Mexican restaurant features several tongue dishes, along with menudo/tripe (which I love).  
    Haven't tried the tongue yet.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Yep, we can get tongue tacos round here. Had it for breakfast in Mexico. Really rich and flavorful. 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I usually do beef tongue a couple of times a year, if I can find them. Pig tongue isn't as good, if you ask me.

I marinade them for a couple of days, then cook them entirely on the Egg. At first, I did them whole, and the "root" wouldn't get done till the tip was overdone. So now I cut them into 3 pieces of roughly the same volume. Even more area for smoke.

As you've found, makes for some of the sammys ever.
  • IPASooner
    Options
    @humbleprisoner that's a great question...not totally sure but I do know that tongue is used in many different cuisines around the world: Mexican, Irish, Scottish, British, Chinese, Italian, German, etc.

I appreciate it for a few reasons

1. Fun to test my technique/ability on new and non-standard cuts of meat
    2. Cooking "nose to tail" and trying to use the whole animal is something I think is important
    3. I tend like exploring different flavors and textures

Thanks so much for taking a look!

LBGE

Marblehead, MA
  • humbleprisoner
    Options
    @IPASooner great reasons for sure. I have never been bold enough in my cooking or eating to try the nose to tail theory. I admit that I stick with more, "safer" cuts and parts of animals. 

Cooking for others enjoyment is not only a passionate reward, it's one of the greatest ways to use what God has given me. Wilmore, KY MBG, LBGE

• smak
    smak Posts: 199
    Options
    gdenby said:
    ...the "root" wouldn't get done till the tip was overdone.
    Last month I went with the sous vide for beef tongue.  143 (I think) for 30ish hours.  A quick sear and a braise (soy sauce, tomato paste, etc) for a Filipino dish.  Turned out great.

I have 2 tongues in the freezer waiting to be cooked up.  I generally have the best luck finding them at farmer's markets.  Normally frozen. 

I went through Charlottesville, VA and a butcher shop there had some tongue.  They also had some Beef Tongue Pastrami in the case.  I did not get any of the pastrami... but that might be what is done with one of the tongues in my freezer.
    smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • IPASooner
    Options
    Sounds like an amazing dish @smak - haven't gotten into sous vide yet but it's def on my list. What sous vide appliance do you use? 

Also agree about farmers markets and stuff - I get this tongue from a local farm where I know it's going to be really fresh and high quality. Don't want to mess around with this type of stuff. 
    LBGE

Marblehead, MA
  • smak
    smak Posts: 199
    Options
    @IPASooner I have the Anova device.  I have been very happy with it.  We use is a good amount.  At first the wife was skeptical but came around quickly and plans meals to use it.

Prior to trying the tongue in the sous vide the wife had always cooked it in a pressure cooker.  Definitely a lot shorter of a cook in the pressure cooker.
    smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • jollygreenegg
    jollygreenegg Posts: 181
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Looks good!  My mom used to cook tongue when I was a kid.  I remember she would boil it first to loosen the skin/taste buds and then peel it off.  The taste buds looked crazy,  did you take them off yourself too?  It was then cooked in a pressure cooker in a tomato based sauce...  Some of the taquerias here in CA serve lengua... Good stuff.

MM & XL BGE, Bay Area CA
  • IPASooner
    Options
    Thanks for taking a look @jollygreenegg 

After the braise, I was easily able to peel the "skin/buds" off while the tongue was still hot. Then I let it cool and sliced the meat. I agree it looks much better after that point!
    LBGE

Marblehead, MA
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    I've got one of these in the freezer. I need to get it out and try this. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Did you take the tough outer layer off at some point ? Sorry I can't tell, looking at the pic on my phone screen.   Tongue is great stuff and there's a lot of flavor to work with. Your cook is outstanding!  Have you done other offal? I agree I think it's great to learn to use as much of the animal as possible. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • IPASooner
    Options
    hey @blind99 thanks for the questions! Yes, took the outer layer off really easily after the braise (pulled off while still hot). 

As for other offal...Liver is something I cook quite a bit (mostly chicken and some duck). Have some lamb liver in my freezer now that I need to do something with as well. I have done headcheese sort of improvised before with a pigs head but it didn't come out too well so I threw most of it away.

Roast whole pigs a few times a year and we crack open the head and usually eat the brains, cheeks, eyes, ears, etc. not sure if that counts! 

I would love to get into cooking more offal (heart, tripe, etc) but I don't think it's something you really experiment on. Guess I have some more reading and research I need to do. 
    LBGE

Marblehead, MA
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I am glad you guys like it, but I just couldn't bring myself to eat it. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Love me some lengua tacos. We'll done. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @IPASooner tripe is something I like in soup but I've never cooked it. I've done sheep 'nads on the egg which weren't very good. I did beef tongue which I prepped like small steaks - great flavor. 

I had duck hearts at a restaurant - actually going there again tonight - and they were excellent. Beef heart would be fun to grill. 

Keep up the interesting cooks and keep posting them!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    They sell beef tongue at walmart here in arkansas. 

Little Rock, AR

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Shane, Dalton, too. Of course, the city is 48% Hispanic. 
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    I love tongue myself. Problem being is for what it is it is pricy here...cheapest is like 5.99 a lbs....go figure
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa