Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Sous Vide Fail - 72 Hour Short Ribs

Options
2»

Comments

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Question: so if the bag (even if had some gasses in bag) had stayed under the water (vs. floating) , would it still have spoiled?  

I bought some magnets to weigh down the bags. (magnet on each side of bag snapping to each other) Works well when I use ziplock instead of vacuum seal.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XKIIJ4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @raymont - not in my experience.  The gas is not close to water in transferring heat, but the gas/air in the bag will be at the water temp if it is submerged.
    Options
    Raymont said:
    Question: so if the bag (even if had some gasses in bag) had stayed under the water (vs. floating) , would it still have spoiled?  

I bought some magnets to weigh down the bags. (magnet on each side of bag snapping to each other) Works well when I use ziplock instead of vacuum seal.

Good idea - I've got some spare rare earth magnets I may try next time just to be extra safe
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Stainless would be better than light weight aluminum.
    I also use old school, weighted, Stainless, 35mm film clips. Photo below not the same as mine but similar. I clip them to the bottom of the foodsaver bag.
    Oh man...it's been a long time.  We used to have a "clothes line" in the bathtub where we'd hang our Tri-X film after developing it at home...and I recognized those clips but couldn't remember at first what they were.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    A baby seal walks into a club...
    Options
    A baby seal walks into a club...
    And someone gets a seal fur coat...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker