Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock chicken

Options
I'm a newbie, so please bear with me. I did my first spatchcock chicken yesterday. Grilled it at around 375degrees on direct heat for just over an hour. While the flavour was excellent, the bottom of the bird was charred. 

Comments

• Biggreennessy
    Options
    I'm a newbie, so please bear with me. I did my first spatchcock chicken yesterday. Grilled it at around 375degrees on direct heat for just over an hour. While the flavour was excellent, the bottom of the bird was charred. 
    Should I have put foil under the chicken?
  • txhawkeye
    txhawkeye Posts: 279
    Options
    I cook chicken in detect for the most part. Do you have a platesetter?
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I also cook spatchcock chickens indirect. Maybe others who spatch direct will give you more feedback.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Need to do raised direct my friends.  Get the grate up and I usually do 425 for a spatch.   @Mickey

Yesterday I did two spatch's and did them indirect aroudn 300 just to have more of a smoke and I was chillin on the porch with my dad and neighbor watching golf too.  

XLBGE 
  • Biggreennessy
    Options
    I do have a platesetter for indirect. I read on the forum yesterday to do direct heat so thats what I tried . The idea was to let the drippings fall into the coals for more flavour and aroma. If I do indirect, should I have the platesetter legs up or down? And at what temp?
  • nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    Options
    Yes if you do direct then you need to raise the grid or the bird is too close to the fire
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I don't really know of any reason to do platesetter legs down.  Ever.  I do most of my chickens indirect, and I still try to get them as high in the dome as I can.  I cook them anywhere from 350-450 and they come out great.

As others have said, if you are cooking the direct, your grid has to be raised - to the felt line or higher - to prevent that charring.
    NOLA
  • Biggreennessy
    Options
    Great... thanks for the advice!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Got to get it raised. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    raised direct at 400....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Biggreennessy
    Options
    Looks delicious. Thanks for all the advice!
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Raised indirect at 400°
    Hard to go wrong either way...
    GWN
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    I don't know that I'll EVER cook direct again.   Even my Bacon Wrapped Kosher Hot Dogs were cooked indirect. 
    And while THIS spatch is direct, I think this was the last time for that technique.    COC is best a little charred.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Indirect is the ticket for poultry and everything else that isn't low and low or a steak.  Unless you're flippin' it like a steak, the bottom cooks much faster than the top.  Raised doesn't really matter if you're indirect, but it's hotter up there, so you burn less fuel.
    Options
    I have only done direct a couple of times, cooking at the gasket level, and have always liked my indirect chicken more.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    I do spatchcock as high as I can in the egg, 400 F direct. I use the CGS Adjustable Rig with the Rig Extender! Today i am going to try indirect for a change. I never got charred bottoms, or rubber skin!
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • RollTideRob
    RollTideRob Posts: 139
    Options
    I always do raised direct at 375. Never had a problem with charring.
    Large, Medium

Heflin, AL
  • Biggreennessy
    Options
    Lots of great advice and photos. Thanks!
  • onward_2_victory
    Options
    Prepped a spatchcock chicken last night for a cook today or tomorrow, depending on the weather.

Rinsed, dried, removed backbone (and breast bone, not sure if I needed to do that), dried again and put in fridge uncovered until time to go on the grill.

My question is, should I apply a rub now, or right before I grill?  Does it really even matter?
    Todd - Smoking on my LBGE in Elkridge, MD

GO IRISH!  Onward to Victory!
  • dldawes1
    Options
    I usually rub right before going on the egg.  It always turns out good for me. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I tried a spatched bird indirect once. Didn't care for it at all. Raised direct at 400° for me. I flip it as needed and finish with the skin side down. Nice.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• dldawes1
    Options
    Carolina Q...looks awesome my friend.  Making me hungry !!!

• Trixie_Belle
    Trixie_Belle Posts: 163
    Options
    Dang....that looks delish! 
    BGE novice...A Southern Belle living in Seattle.