Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Spreading the love this Valentine’s Day with your EGG? Virginia Willis’ three course menu is perfect for a date night! February is also National Chocolate Lover’s Month, so don’t feel guilty if you’ve been cooking a little more dessert than usual on your EGG. If you’re looking for something a little more savory than chocolate, try some Roasted Chicken Flatbread or Pork Tenderloin with Honey Mustard.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Easter Lamb Kebabs

GrillMeisterGrillMeister Posts: 1,611
edited 5:54PM in EggHead Forum
lambkebabs2.jpg
<p />I found a great recipe for Lamb marinade that I used yesterday for Lamb Kebabs. It was OUTRAGEOUS! I marinated for 24 hours and served the kebabs with rice, fresh Tzatziki sauce, and warm sliced Ciabatta bread. An awsome meal. Hats off to the Morgan Vally Lamb folks out in Utah for a great marinade recipe! Here's the recipe and link.[p] l Tbs. coarse black pepper
l Tbs. Kosher Salt
l/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
l tsp. cardoman
1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
1 tsp. chopped fresh oregano
l Tbs. paprika
2 Tbs. dijon mustard
4 Tbs. chopped fresh garlic
4 Tbs. grated onion
l Cup. plain yogurt[p]Preparation:
Dice lamb into l" chunks following the natural pockets of the leg, (trim any sinew and cut against the grain).
Combine all marinade ingredients in a large mixing bowl, add lamb and allow to marinate in the refrigerator up to 24 hrs.
Remove lamb from marinade, skewer the kebob ingredients alternating the peppers, onions and lamb.

[ul][li]Morrocan Spice Lamb kebobs from Morgan Valley Lamb[/ul]

Comments

• GrilliciousGrillicious Posts: 347
    GrillMeister, yum! If you're not making these for the Texas Eggfest I might. I'm still looking for, and experimenting with, what to cook at the eggfest. It's a tough job, and I'm loving every minute of it.
  • edbroedbro Posts: 297
    GrillMeister,
    We were going to make this but the only place we could find cardoman had it for something like $13. Is this a rare spice and does it always cost that much?

• GenesGrillGenesGrill Posts: 308
    GrillMeister,
    Those look great! What temp did you use and how long did they cook???

• GrillMeisterGrillMeister Posts: 1,611
    Grillicious,[p]Go for it! I'm pretty busy with cooking whole chickens that day! It's good stuff!
    edbro,[p]I found some at World Market for $3 for a bag of it. You can substitute curry for it though. You can find it online too.
    [ul][li]Cardamom at the Spice Barn[/ul]
    GenesGrill,[p]I cooked them direct at about 375 for about 15 minutes, turning frequently. I checked the meat with a Thermapen and when it hit 145, I pulled them off.[p]Here's a tip for turning a skewer. You need an extra skewer and some tongs. Use the loop of the extra skewer to hold the sharp end of the kabob and use the tongs on the other end to do the turning. It allows you to pickup the whole kabob and rotate it like it's on a spit before putting back down on the grill.[p]Cheers,[p]GM
  • bobbybbobbyb Posts: 1,349
    GrillMeister,
    Great tip! Beats fumbling around with Orka mitts as I was doing the other day.
    Bob

• BlueSmokeBlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    edbro,
    Actually, $13 a pound is a pretty good price. I don't know what I paid for an ounce-plus-or-minus at the supermarket, but I'm thinking it was $4 or $5. My bulk spice supplier wants $19 a pound.[p]Cardamom is Very pungent, however, and in most usages a teaspoon is plenty. Try it in spice cake, or ginger snap cookies. [p]Ken

• Thanks to those great pictures, I sent an email to Morgan Valley Lamb about shipping to Chicago. I got a call from the owner and looks like I'm buying at least a half lamb!