Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen vs. Thermopop

Options
BigWings
BigWings Posts: 172
edited July 2015 in EggHead Forum
Hi guys, I did an AB comparison between the Thermapen and Thermopop and was surprised at the performance difference.   It seemed like the thermopop was faster.

My Thermapen has always seemed to take longer than the advertised 3 seconds.  Is my Thermapen defective or is it just marketing hype.  Do you see similar performance?  Perhaps my test is flawed, but I don't think so.

https://youtu.be/BuHiCTP667c

New Brunswick, Canada

Comments

• YYZegger
    YYZegger Posts: 231
    Options
    I have a TPop and am quite happy with it, but I never tried a TPen though. Nice comparison video.
    Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • Mantoothian
    Options
    My Thermapen takes 3 seconds, MAX for a temp read out. I have never used a TP but I wouldn't trade the Thermapen for anything!
    Denver, CO
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,733
    Options
    I've occasionally seen that the thermapen reads faster if the tip is already warm. I have a thermopop too, and would have bought only it if it had been available when I pulled the trigger on the thermapen. I can live with the pop taking 3 seconds longer to read. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    TPop - no, the Thermapen is #1. Professional cooks all over the world use it. I could never imagine a Pitmaster who's on the Bbq circuit use it as their 'Go To' Probe. 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • BigWings
    Options
    So it would appear that my Thermapen is a lemon?

New Brunswick, Canada

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    The pen definitely seems slower than the pop in this test.  Perhaps try again in boiling water just to see the test is the same?  FWIW I always thought the T-pen was slower in an ice bath vs boiling water.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Sounds like it.  Tpen hits within several degrees in 3" normally.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    Stick the thermapen in and get a swallow of adult refreshment and then read the temp....how fast does it really have to be.....

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• BigWings
    Options
    pasoegg said:
    Stick the thermapen in and get a swallow of adult refreshment and then read the temp....how fast does it really have to be.....
    At least as fast as it's far cheaper counterpart!  

Totally on board with the adult beverage though.

New Brunswick, Canada

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,543
    Options
    Have your Thermopen checked....  Hands down the one to have
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I've used both, I like the way the pen fits in my hand better than the pop.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    I don`t think your ice bath was at 32 degrees. It was probably at 36 and if that is the case I think the pen worked great.
    Look in your Theramapen booklet on how to make a ice bath you may have a different result. Good luck!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,187
    Options
    My thermopen is noticeably faster than my thermopop.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    My experience: I don't have a TPop, but I don't think the thermopen is as fast going to low temps (e.g. near freezing). I would like to see same test with hot or boiling water.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• BigWings
    Options
    MeTed said:
    I don`t think your ice bath was at 32 degrees. It was probably at 36 and if that is the case I think the pen worked great.
    Look in your Theramapen booklet on how to make a ice bath you may have a different result. Good luck!
    Regardless of the temperature of the ice bath, the thermopop jumped into the neighbourhood quite quickly, where as the Thermapen took 8 seconds.   

I think a proper ice bath is necessary for calibrating your thermometers so you are sure you are set on 32.

New Brunswick, Canada

• BigWings
    Options

Have your Thermopen checked....  Hands down the one to have
    Thanks, I just sent the video link to Thermoworks tech support.   Hope to hear back from them.

New Brunswick, Canada

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You could try replacing the batteries.  There's something wrong with it. 
    Options
    You could try replacing the batteries.  There's something wrong with it. 
    Thanks NOLA, just wanted confirmation that I wasn't crazy!   It's been that slow since day 1 but I will change out the batteries to see.

New Brunswick, Canada

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    @BigWings point well taken.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter