Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen down for the count - maybe

Options
My prized thermapen went tits up this weekend...changed the battery's but suspect it may be more.  Sending back for repair and will probably go back to the "pair and a spare" theory for the future.  How do you get along with out your thermapen for two weeks while the shop diagnose and get her back on the track to recovery...I can't quit cooking - I'm addicted but need my buddy with me...any ideas??

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I bought a Thermopop for my spare
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Use the fork test to see if it is done.  For some cooks I don't bother with my thermapen because I know how it is supposed to feel when you press on the meat.  You could also buy a cheap instant read for like 10-20 bucks.  That could be your backup in the future. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I was in the same boat a few years ago.
    My original TP stopped working. Just so happened that King Arthur Flour was having a sale so I ordered a new one the same day I mailed my repair to Thermoworks. Their customer service is outstanding.
    I got my completed repair back from Thermoworks before I got my my new pen from King Arthur Flour...
    As @Shiff said, the little "pop" makes a great backup and travel probe.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    As Jimmy Buffett said in a song, "Breathe in, breathe out, move on"....  you will live another day!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I thought I lost my Thermapens at the pig roast I did this weekend. My wife just found them. On Monday I had ordered a new backlit pen.

Oh well, I guess now that I have 3 I'll be sure to always have one in a safe place...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    There is the old saying
    "To have only one is to have none"