Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

stablizing the egg

Options
JQuinn
JQuinn Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was wonderring if you could help out a newbie on stablizing egg temps or increasing and decreasing the temps.
What is the best way of holding temps.
Use the bottom damper or the top or how do you do it in combinations to best stablize the egg?????
Or if you have it stablized what is the best way to increase temp open bottom alittle and not adjust the top or open bottom and the top alittle more?
thanks[p]I cooked a 3.5 lb pork loin but over cooked it. I pulled it at around 160 since my guide on my thermometer said it is done around 170 but then I see other pull it around 140 and if I did that I know it would have been alot better.[p]Still learning!!!!!!!!

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    JQuinn,
    In general the bottom vent is typically used for larger temp adjustments, and the daisy wheel is used for smaller temp adjustments....As far as stabilizing your temp, fire up the egg with whatever form of starter you prefer, the temp will climb as the starter burns. Once the starter has burned out and the lump begins to burn your dome temp will drop to somewhere around 150° and slowly begin to climb back up. Once you are within 50° of your desired temp close down the lower vent some and add the daisy wheel to the top. You want to work your way up to temp and hold it there by closing the vents more and more until stabilized...HTH[p]Wess

• JQuinn
    JQuinn Posts: 44
    Options
    WessB,
    wow thanks! any other hints?

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    JQuinn,
    When I first got my large egg, I would sometimes ligh it up without even intending to cook anything...just kinda playing with temp control, and wasting lump..LOL..You`ll get the hang of it very soon, but also bear in mind, what setting of the vents works for some may not be the same for others.[p]Wess

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    JQuinn,
    Here's a link to my web page on temperature control. I hope this helps you some. Good luck![p]TNW

[ul][li]Temperature Control[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Laker
    Laker Posts: 110
    Options
    As you close down the daisy wheel, you will increase the smoke flavor of your meat if you are using any wood to increase flavor.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    WessB,
    Glad to know I'm not the only person that did that. In fact, I did it maybe 3 or 4 times. Learning to build the fire and comtroling the temperature is the single most important thing the newbies can do. I sleep through the night when I do a low and slo and have since the second one I did. BTW I use the thickness of my pocket knife blade for the lower vent once I start to reach target. Works every time.