Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket Cook Question

Options
Ok, so I put the brisket on at 10 last night after slathering it with mustard and going with Franklins salt and pepper.  I got the egg dialed in with a grate temp hovering between 219 and 225.  Meat has been kind of stuck at 163 degrees for like 5 hours.  I have guests coming over to swim at 3 and figured we would eat around 5ish.  Should I foil it now or keep going.  I have spritzed it a few times as well.  Beginning to think I should have practiced instead of my friends being guinea pigs.  lol Any tips or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  
Midland, TX XLBGE

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    SMU '81, but, I'm going to set that aside and welcome you to the forum!

You should still be good time-wise. You'll probably come out of the stall any time now. You could bump your temp up 25-50* if you want to make sure, our, wrapping as you suggested could help. If it were me, I'd bump a bit and see where I was in an hour.

Good luck and, don't forget to update with some pics of your finish.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Thanks Texan.  Man this is nerve racking.  But it sure is fun.  Its the only time I don't mind losing sleep.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,505
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't declare victory too soon.  When you can probe the thickest part of the flat like buttah then you are there.  And don't slice (against the grain) til ready to eat as it can dry out before your eyes.
    BTW-Frnaklin's "brisket payoff" video is a great tool on slicing the hunk of beef.  Great eats await.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Pulled the brisket off at an internal temp of 194, foiled it, toweled it and put it in the oven until time to eat.  Moment of truth came when time to slice.  I have to say.  I impressed my self I must say as well as my guests.  I made extra food just in case this was a failure.  I made some 3-2-1 ribs, but was so excited with the brisket I forgot to take pics.  The brisket was so moist and had so much flavor.  I am hooked.  Hope it wasn't beginners luck.  I thought I would have lots of left overs but everyone kept eating.  Good sign right.  The forum really helped with the cook.  Can't wait for more egg adventures.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Sorry for the upside down pick.  Can't figure out why that is happening.
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    No leftovers is the best indication that you nailed it! Even upside down that looks delicious.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    My first brisket was a fail - so you're doing great. Nice picture with the tomatoes in the corner... good composition even if you didn't do it on purpose.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,505
    Options
    Great cook right there.  You have set the bar very high for your next go.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    It looks great even upside down.  Brisket is tough on to take on and it looks you did it.  Write down what you did and try to recreate it next time.  @TexanOfTheNorth, gave you great advice and it sounds like your guest like it a lot.  Good luck on the next one.  I am planing on doing a 20 pounder if I can find one for the 4th.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    One more question.   I used some pecan wood chunks mixed through out the lump charcoal, so there wasn't a super smokey taste this time.  Is that why there wasn't much of a smoke ring? 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Probably not. The smoke ring can be an elusive thing (and many will say overrated). There are several factors that come into play with regards to the smoke ring. Here's some more info if you care to read up on it.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_the_smoke_ring.html
    Thank you sir.
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    Options
    I also love to use Pecan wood and love the flavour but just a mild smoke ring.

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    A wood that can help with the smoke ring that I like with beef is cherry wood.  Pecan is a nice light wood to smoke with and I add it with some cherry some time to get a nice flavor in the meat.  You can't really taste the smoke ring. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.