Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FlameBoss 200 Reveiw

Options

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Wow. That is pretty cool. Didn't know they were coming out with a wifi one. Sounds interesting. Not sure I'd ever use it, but I'm not a big techie guy. The 100 works for me, but glad to see they now have an option for others.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @Griffin ... the main selling point for the Flame Boss 200 looks to be simplicity of operation.  It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the Stoker ... and it only handles one egg at a time, but it functions in a plug-and-play manner.  Since I'm the proverbial "roadkill on the information highway" it looks like it'll handle my needs/wants at an attractive price.

My son bought the 100 a month ago and had a couple of questions on the unit.  He called on a Saturday Good Friday to leave a voice mail, but the owner answered the call and answered his questions on the spot.  An e-mail to the company last night was answered this morning.  Sounds like another small, responsive BBQ company.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,125
    Options
    Michael Collins has been great to deal with.  He even answered the phone on Good Friday.  He knows his product inside and out.  He walked me through how to get into the advanced settings and adjust them.

I'm very happy with the FB100 and would heartily recommend it.

I have used it on both my XL and medium with great success.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Griffin
    Options
    x100 on customer service and Michael Collins. I've never had an issue, but we've corresponded through e-mails and he's always quick to reply. I've still got one of his first ones. Think it was a prototype. Not sure. Think it had a really low serial number on it. Still works like a champ, though I use the FB100 now. Maybe I should give away the original? Or just keep it as a backup...

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The original

Rowlett, Texas

• EggcitedinNJ
    Options
    My FB200 connectivity issue has not yet been resolved, but Michael has been a pleasure to work with, both on the phone and via email.
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Options
    @EggcitedinNJ
    My router changes letters and numbers to an encrypted "phrase of numbers and letters" for another layer of protection.  I have to log onto my router and go to "wireless settings" to get the password.  Hope this helps...
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • EggcitedinNJ
    Options
    Logger said:
    @EggcitedinNJ
    My router changes letters and numbers to an encrypted "phrase of numbers and letters" for another layer of protection.  I have to log onto my router and go to "wireless settings" to get the password.  Hope this helps...

Thanks for the suggestion Logger. I don't know if my router automatically does that, but I do know that every other device we have in the house seamlessly gained access to the network. I don't have anything exotic so I'm sure a solution will be figured out.
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    How close does it keep the pit temp to the set temp and someone said there is no damper in the motor? What keeps air from getting sucked in when motor is off .Do you have to shut down the air up top ?? My Auber control has a motor damper and I generally I leave Smokeware cap opened a crack .
  • BearQ
    BearQ Posts: 174
    Options
    After my first experience, next time I will start with shutting the daisy wheel top down completely once I'm at the target temp and let the fan do all the work. If I see a lot of high percent fan usage I will adjust top open very slightly, I think I want to aim for the fan short cycling to maintain temp. Like theEgg itself there is a learning curve.
    Barrie,Ont.,Canada.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,686
    Options
    sctdg said:
    How close does it keep the pit temp to the set temp and someone said there is no damper in the motor? What keeps air from getting sucked in when motor is off .Do you have to shut down the air up top ?? My Auber control has a motor damper and I generally I leave Smokeware cap opened a crack .

The motor is not just simply On or Off......it's variable speed.  It runs anywhere from 10%-100% in increments of 10.

With any temp controller, the fact that air can be sucked past the stopped fan is an issue to be aware of....but only with a Kamado.  The BGE is so efficient, that it can run on tiny amount of air.  This is more of an issue of users that try to use the ramp down function as an "Off button" for the fire--it may work, it may not.  Either way you need to start the process ahead of time, like 30-60 minutes ahead of the time you are going to get to the meat time--so that the pit temp has lowered to that meat temp at the exact same time. 

So, set up your egg and stabilize like you were cooking without a temp controllers.  Just crack the cap a bit like you normally would, put your temp controller on once the temp is reached.  Or undershoot your temp, then SLOWLY bring it up.

Any temp controller is to MAINTAIN temp by not letting the fire go out.  Using the temp controller to start the egg, stoking it up to temp, is a gamble.......you're going to overshoot big time if you're not careful.

With everyone of these controllers I sell, I always warn people that strapping a piece of new technology to cooker with a simple design thousands of years old, doesn't mean its going to run like an electric convection oven.  A temp controller is ultimately insurance so that the fire doesn't go out on you.  It can help with other things, but it's not always spot on.......at no fault of it's own.  Fire is an interesting creature with a mind of it's own, and there's no controlling it 100% no matter how much technology is involved.

• Jeepster47
    Options

The motor is not just simply On or Off......it's variable speed.  It runs anywhere from 10%-100% in increments of 10. ...

It was raining too hard yesterday for me to spend time listening to the blower motor, so the graph is all I have to go by.  It looks like the motor is variable speed, but doesn't take advantage of that feature like you would think ... ie it doesn't run constantly and vary the speed to control airflow. 

It looks like the motor cycles on and off ... the speed variation is only used to control how fast the fan turns when in the on portion of the cycle.

Yes/no/maybe?

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    Griffin said:
    x100 on customer service and Michael Collins. I've never had an issue, but we've corresponded through e-mails and he's always quick to reply. I've still got one of his first ones. Think it was a prototype. Not sure. Think it had a really low serial number on it. Still works like a champ, though I use the FB100 now. Maybe I should give away the original? Or just keep it as a backup...
    Dont give away the original .. it was built with very expensive parts and Michael told me that they didnt even recover the original build cost on it when they sold it to consumers. It is a very good device!
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,125
    Options
    The fan cycles on/off and the %blower speed varies based on pit temp to desired temp delta.

As temp delta nears zero the speed ramps down.  Then as temp drops down fan cyles on/off to maintain temp.  The %fan at min is adjustable, but set to 14% from factory.  I have played with this number, but the 14% works well on my XL and medium.  I would suggest leaving that at default.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @BearQ ... good review ... please let me tack on some new things I've picked up.  Talked and traded e-mails with Michael today.

1) Michael and company have a list of updates/improvements that are being working into the system.  One of the improvements is a text alarm for pit temp too high or too low.  When they have a number of improvements available, plans are to upload the new firmware via wifi.  And, no they can't do that with the 100.

2) Temp probes should be considered good to/for 450 degrees.

3) The text for a "set meat temp" does work ... almost instantaneously.  During set up, Flameboss.com sends a confirmation number to your phone via text ... make sure you share a text capable phone number.  When you first set your requested meat temp, it'll ask for that number.  I received a text for the first temp I set, but have not been able to get a text for higher temps.  Almost like you get one text per cook ... or I don't know how to work it!!  Have an e-mail into Michael.

4)  Want to see other cooks?  Enter http://www.myflameboss.com/cooks/xxx into your browser.  Pick a number for xxx ... you might get folks messing around on Jonathan's unit or you might get someone on their own unit, or you might get a real cook.  Just step up through the numbers ... 108 looks like a good starting point.

5)  For my egg, the Smokeware settings needed to be tightened up a little when changing from the DigiQ to the Flameboss.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,686
    Options
    Jeepster47 said:

4)  Want to see other cooks?  Enter http://www.myflameboss.com/cooks/xxx into your browser.  Pick a number for xxx ... you might get folks messing around on Jonathan's unit or you might get someone on their own unit, or you might get a real cook.  Just step up through the numbers ... 108 looks like a good starting point.

You got a THREE digit one??  Rookie.  VIPs are down in the double digits......
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @stlcharcoal ... the xxx is for the cook number.  Don't know who did cook 108  ... just figured those VIP's were trying to figure them out down in the double digit cook area.  In fact, cook 448, the highest on the website, is someone messing around with unit 21.  I sure hope that's not your unit!!

But, yes, I'm a rookie with a three digit unit number.  Picked it up as soon as the pony express dropped it off at my dealer.  Had an e-mail that, in total, said, "guess what I got ?"  Ran right in and picked it up!!!

• ROllTIDEEGGING
    Options
    I've been tracking mine via fedex all day. Should arrive tomorrow. Will have a ton of questions I'm sure..  Looking forward to being in the Flame Boss Mafia.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    One more thing ... when you have the graph on your computer screen, touch the pointer anywhere along the graph lines and it will show a readout of the time and value of the data point.  Makes it easy to get the max, min, or time value.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

My FB200 was delivered today, and I'm having similar issues as @EggcitedinNJ re: setting up the wifi connection.

The wifi password is long (17 characters). Entering it took some time since the screen doesn't accommodate enough characters to see what I'm entering. Plus the up key is "sticky", so it jumps a couple of characters when I'm trying to guess what the last character is. Anyways, figured out how to enter the password, remembered the "->" at the end, but when I hit MENU, the display says something like "wifi off" then "resetting" then "connecting to wlan" then it goes to the main screen. I have never reached the screen where it gives me the device ID and PIN.

As mentioned above by @BearQ , it may be a problem with the router being incompatible (ASUS RT-N16). I don't have another router, and I'm not so sure I'm going to by another one just for the FB200, since I have a bunch of other devices that work well (thermostats, sprinkler controller, etc).

Can anyone help? I was hoping to use this on a test run tomorrow with a pork butt, but may have to wait. On the other hand, I like the looks and build of the unit, and the probes seem pretty robust, unlike the maverick probes. The company seems quite responsive, so maybe they will have a solution when I write to them.   

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options

With any temp controller, the fact that air can be sucked past the stopped fan is an issue to be aware of....but only with a Kamado. 

The Stoker has a flap that closes when the fan isn't running. When the fan runs, it blows the flap up and allows air in. It's the only one I've seen where the blower has a flap that closes when the fan isn't running.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Jeepster47
    edited June 2015
    Options
    DMW said:
    The Stoker has a flap that closes when the fan isn't running. When the fan runs, it blows the flap up and allows air in. It's the only one I've seen where the blower has a flap that closes when the fan isn't running.
    @DMW ... Is it hinged and closed with a weight (or spring) or is it a flexible flap.  Either way, there must be a delicate balance ... weak enough to open when the fan blows, but strong enough to resist moving due to the natural draw.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    DMW said:
    @DMW ... Is it hinged and closed with a weight (or spring) or is it a flexible flap.  Either way, there must be a delicate balance ... weak enough to open when the fan blows, but strong enough to resist moving due to the natural draw.
    It is hinged and the weight of the flap is enough that it drops down when the fan isn't running.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    DMW said:
    It is hinged and the weight of the flap is enough that it drops down when the fan isn't running.
    That's a neat concept.  Suspect that the flapper reduces the sensitivity of the daisy wheel/Smokeware cap settings.  I have to set the Smokeware to just closed when aiming for 225~275 ... then open it to about 1/4" when aiming for 350 degrees to obtain a reasonable duty cycle on the fan.

The DigiQ would react well to a flapper.  Not sure about the Flame Boss ... still don't understand the algorithm it operates under.  With a variable speed motor, you'd think it would run continuously and just vary the speed.  But, instead it both pulses on/off and varies the speed.

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    The original Flame Boss blower also had the flap feature and it worked quite well. The pix I saw of the 200 blower look very similar to the original. Is the flap still there?
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Jeepster47
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Nope ... No flap.  I'll have to look at @Ozzie_Isaac 's 100 blower.  Or did you mean the pre-100 blower?

• BearQ
    BearQ Posts: 174
    Options
    @caliking try connecting the unit to a different wifi, McDonalds, Starbucks, possibly a local library to ensure that the unit works. If it works elsewhere logon to your wireless router and look to ensure its getting an IP from the DHCP section of your LAN interface first before continuing to troubleshoot. If the unit is not getting an IP it won't connect to any network.
    Barrie,Ont.,Canada.
  • EggcitedinNJ
    Options

@caliking your sequencing is what is happening with me and since all my other devices work fine I'm not keen on getting another router just for the FB and possibly encounter problems with other devices that are used on a daily basis.

@BearQ, trying to connect to a public wifi is a great idea. I'm going to give that a try. Thanks.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    BearQ said:
    @caliking try connecting the unit to a different wifi, McDonalds, Starbucks, possibly a local library to ensure that the unit works. If it works elsewhere logon to your wireless router and look to ensure its getting an IP from the DHCP section of your LAN interface first before continuing to troubleshoot. If the unit is not getting an IP it won't connect to any network.

The default server IP setting is pointed at myflameboss.com. I changed it to an IP within the DHCP range of my LAN and got the same result as before. Sent an email to the company so maybe they can help me figure it out. I'm kinda bummed that I can't cook with it tomorrow though.

Thanks for the help.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    Nope ... No flap.  I'll have to look at @Ozzie_Isaac 's 100 blower.  Or did you mean the pre-100 blower?

Yes, mine is the pre 100 unit with the rounded edge case.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa