Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pepper Stout Beef, Pulled Pork and Father's Day

Options

A good end to a VERY long weekend.

I had plans to cook up a bunch of food to take with me this coming weekend to Steamboat, CO for a weekend of drinking, eating and umpiring.  I had total plans to start this on Saturday afternoon and roll on through Sunday, but alas my schedule was all messed up.  Friday afternoon I umpired three Legion Baseball games (2 straight plate appearances and 1 base).  Saturday was up early to help with the garage sale at my parent's house where we had a bunch of stuff for sale and then to the ball field for 3 more games (1 plate in the 95 heat at 2:00, and 2 bases).  I had intended to get home and start the egg and get the picnic shoulder on before I went to bed, but I was in NO mood to move from the the couch when I got home unless it was to my bed.

Sunday morning was full of church stuff and taking my grandparents to eat for Father's Day, so by the time we made it home it was 1:15.  How to get a 10lb picnic shoulder and a 5lb chuck done before midnight.  YOU GO TURBO!

20150621_135443jpg

Rubbed the shoulder with the first homemade rub I made back when I started on my old offset 6 years ago. 

Coarse Salt, Ground Black Pepper, Paprika, Cayenne Pepper, Ground Oregano, Garlic Powder, Ground Cumin and Cinnamon

Got the egg set up and rolling at 325-350 with the picnic shoulder on the bottom and the chuck roast on the second tier.

20150621_135626jpg

Had to manipulate the 2nd tier a bit so that it would sit above the shoulder, and not on the shoulder.

When I put all the meat in, it was quite a load for the egg and our temps dropped down to about 200 and it took some time for it to rebound.  The nice thing that worked out with this is that as it rebounded back to 350, the chuck did it's thing and was at about 130 when we finally got back to 350.

20150621_155726jpg

While the meat did it's thing, I sliced up the veggies and got that all ready to go.  I also took a bit of a nap with JR.

20150621_160056jpg

20150621_160213jpg

Timing on this could not have been more perfect.  I packaged up the Stout Beef, slide the therm into the pork shoulder to find it at about 115.  Closed the lid and set my timer for 3 hours for the beef.

20150621_195004jpg

185 on the pork when I pulled the beef.  The bones didn't give when I pulled on them, so I gave it a little time while I worked on the beef.

20150621_204351jpg

Shredded the beef.  There was not a lot of liquid to cook down after this, so I skipped that step.  I am going to reheat anyway when I get to Steamboat, so that will take care of that step.  I'm thinking that this needs the rest of the worcestershire anyway, so I'm going to add that back in when I heat it up.

Pork hit 195 and I checked the bones.  They slid right out.

20150621_210409jpg

Top bark was excellent.  The bottom was a little burned, and I'm wondering if I should have turned the shoulder at some point in the cook.

2015-06-2120170630-2jpg

I'm told this is still a work in progress, but this is what I got from my son for father's day.  The plate is awesome, and I will certainly use it, but the best gift I got this weekend was hearing him tell me Happy Father's day in his little 3 yr old voice.  It totally melted my heart Sunday morning.

No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
Eggheads Everywhere Map
Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen

Comments

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    NICE! It's been forever since I cooked pepper stout beef; that needs to be rectified...

Very cool gift there as well, that's a win! Congrats on some great cooks, a good weekend/holiday, and thanks for posting some very nice pics.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Options
    Nice!  I did the same cook for the So Cal Eggfest a couple weeks ago.  I used Corona Negro (bomber bottle) instead of the stout for the Pepper Beef.  The butts were good (made with Village Idiot's Secret BBQ Sauce), but I couldn't believe how fast the beef disappeared! 

Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Two really solid cooks and an even better "Happy Father's Day" from the rug rat.  Congrats on all three!!  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA