Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbe questions

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Picked up my new L on Sat and fired him up Sun using BGE lump and a fire starter from Walmart. When I lit the starter I noticed that it emitted a black stringy smoke than of course I got called inside. When I checked back I noticed a gasey oder and the temp gauge was buried at 6 o clock. I brought the temp down and did the corn meal chick thing which came out fine, but there was a slight "gasey" taste. I'm guessing the starter may have been other than hardwood. My questio is 1. Will that oder burn off or have I permanetly tainted Bubba's inards, 2. Should I order a new temp gauge[p]

Comments

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    Bambino,[p]What kind of walmart fire starter did you use?[p]Is it petroleum based?

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Bambino,
    a good habit to get into is to leave the daisy on in some fashion. putting it on or taking it off immediately after lighting has no impact on the time it takes to get the egg to tem. even to 600 or so.
    big difference is, even wide-open it won't go OVER 600.[p]that way, you won't come back after getting sidetracked to find a buried needle and melted gasket.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Bambino,
    Does your thermometer still read a reasonable temp at room temperature? Stick it into boiling water and set it to 212 and then see what it says at room temp. If things are ok, fine. If things are wacky, you might want to consider getting a Tel-Tru thermometer to replace it.[p][li]FAQ entry on calibrating your thermometer
    [li]Which Tel-Tru Thermometer To Buy[p]Good luck!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Options
    Bambino,
    Congrats and welcome to the cult. I don't think Bubba is permanently tainted. A clean hot fire should burn anything off that's in there. If your chicken had a petroleum kind of thing going on, though, you might want to dump the lump that was leftover and start fresh. On the next cook, let a really clean fire get established at your target temp (let it burn there for 20 or 30 minutes, until the smoke coming out the chimney is colorless).[p]You can see if your temp guage is working by calibrating it. In boiling water, it should come to 212. And at rest, does it come close to the ambient temp? You can turn the nut on the back to make sure boiling=212. If, however, it stays over 90 or 100 when it's just sitting on your counter for a few minutes, it's probably been damaged.[p]Good luck to you and Bubba.

• stike
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    ok, man. somethin's fishy...
    you gettin a kick-back from the tel-tru folks?[p]this is the 73rd post in 3 days from you pushin the tel-tru on newbies....
    hmmmm.[p]makes me wonder where all the cash for that hot air balloon came from. pimpin thermometers on BBQ forums. good gig.[p](peace.. just ribbin')

• 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    Bambino,
    as a somewhat newbie myself i can not offer any advise except these guys know what they are talking about and will not steer you wrong (regardless what they say to each other) they sure have helped me a bunch have fun and good egging

• Essex County
    Options
    stike,
    ok, I'll bite. How can restricting the airflow with the daisy wheel in place (vs off) not have a debilitating effect on the time it takes to get to 600? [p]I have visions of you standing in your backyard with a stopwatch and a clipboard validating this but...I'll just stop there.[p]Paul[p]

• GrillMeister,
    I don't have the package handy but it said wood saw dust and parafin, they looked like sticks about as big around as your finger and there were about 5 or 6 joined togather that you broke off

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    stike,
    Just wait until I figure out a good use for OxyClean! THE POWER OF OXYGEN!!!!!!!!! :-)
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • stike
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    i just snorted when i read that.
    people at work think i'm nutty.
    well, nuttier than usual.

• stike,
    Daisy won't be here for another week, right now i'm using just the ceramic cap

• The Naked Whiz,
    Thanks whiz, love your site

• stike
    Options
    Essex County,
    yer the perfesser.[p]guy can make a radio out of a coconut, but can't fix a two foot hole in a boat.[p]ok ok ok.
    i ain't the N-whiz. but until it gets to 600, it won't draw as much as a 600 degree fire needs, and it won't need to exhaust as much either.[p]even though the daisy restricts the air flow, it doesn't impede fires below the temp it is set.[p]the fire can still grow as fast as it wants, because it can always get more draft as it needs it, up til 600.[p]now, i hear ginger calling from her hut, something about a pillow fight with maryann. i gotta run.[p]

• stike
    Options
    Bambino,
    that's wacky... shoulda come with it.[p]you can adjust temps with the ceramic cap by tilting it on the opening, but be careful when you open the gg, it'll fall off.

• Essex County
    Options
    stike,
    I knew it. You're a theory guy. No stike standing under the arch while they put the keystone in. Probably draws pictures of buildings and then gives the address to the guys with the hammers and saws. Build it there. Call when you're finished.[p]But air thing makes sense even while I'm wrestling with it. The fire draws the air it can and when you're below temp, it doesn't matter if there is more air available. So, the only way to speed things up is to force more air in (fan, guru, wind), throw on a couple of extra starter cubes or kick your mapp torch up a notch.[p]Paul

• Bambino,
    Thanks to every one. I've been lurking for a year, its taken that long to convince my wife she needed a BGE, so I knew this was the place to go for expert advice

• stike,
    Agreed, this was the last L at the dealer and someone probably barrowed the daisy. The dealer is making it right, I just have to wait for it to come in.

• stike
    Options
    Essex County,
    you pretty much pegged it... i am a theory guy, but i always stick my neck out pretty far, too. i WOULD stand under the keystone.[p]i'm an idealist... you know. if it makes sense, it's gotta work, right?[p]i'm also a bit of a "i told you so" kinda dinkus, so i have to actually stick around until they kick the supports out to make sure it really stands.[p]but that's a pretty cool thing, i can tell you. when everyone has been sayin "no way is this gonna work" while you are the only one nodding. and then it works, and they all hafta shrug and equivocate...[p]of course, ain't like i made a heavier-than-air machine or anything. it's usually something meaningless.[p]but i'm not bitter.

• stike
    Options
    Bambino,
    ok
    this is getting stooopid.
    whiz pimping thermometers, and every other post about how cool the whiz is and thanks for being so nerdy with the HTML....[p]
    hate that whiz....
    grrrr[p]i used to be the cool one.