Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Hamburgers?

Options
mattyg
mattyg Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone ever smoke their burgers @ low temps? Got a good recipe? Share here. . .

Comments

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Options
    mattyg,[p] Last night I did some big thick juicy burgers with only hickory smoked salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Threw a couple of chunks of Hickory on the fire (450º~500º at the dome) for about 5 minutes per side then shut the vents down and cooked them another 4 mins per side and hit them with a little kosher salt right before bringing them in. Man, those were the best burgers I've had to date![p]Haven't tried just smoking them low and slow, really no point in my opinion... nothing to break down in there, that isn't already ground up! Might be good though... keep us posted!
    Cheers

• CampCook
    CampCook Posts: 157
    Options
    mattyg,
    Lo & slo burgers are the best. Start with not too lean burger meat. 1/3 to 1/2 pound patties. Sometimes I stuff them with blue cheese and or green chilies. Season as you like. On the BGE direct at 200 to 225 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes. Flip mid way if you want. cook to desired internal temp.[p]These pick up a good deal of smoke flavor and are delicious reheated
    Dave

• SuperDave,[p]Make some patties and put them in at about 250* grate level. Somewhere around 45-60 minutes you will have a fine burger. Use whatever wood you want. We tend to favor pecan. [p]Odis
  • Charles in SC
    Options
    mattyg,
    That is a regular thing with me. The smoke part anyway. I use mesquite pellets in a foil pouch. I get the egg up to about 350 put the pellet pouch in the coals and then when the smoke starts I put the burgers on and cook till they are done. I like the strong wood because the burgers are not on the egg very long. This is also a fine treatment for baloney cut about 1/2 inch thick and topped with some Bunker Hill hot dog chili. Darn, I'm getting hungry!

• FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    mattyg,Just had some burgerslast night. We prefer ground chuck (80/20). mixed in a little worchestershire, 1/2 lb patties with a dimple in the middle, coated with some cow lick and montreal steak seasoning. Raised grid, 250º dome, takes about 45 min, flip once at 20-25 min. It doesn't get any better.