Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need advice on spices

Options
MasterMason
MasterMason Posts: 243
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello, [p]Need some advice. I love the spicy rubs and spices. Have the full compliment of DP products and love them, and just got some of Ken Stones and will be trying them shortly (thanks for the quick shipment Ken).[p]What I would like to know is this. My new wife was brought up on bland food, and doesn't like a lot of spice. I have cut way back on the amount of spices I use on her stuff, and cut the smoke way back as well. But what I would ideally like to find are some good spices that are flavorful, but not spicy. The closest I currently have is the DP ragin river, which she liked on salmon.[p]Any ideas?[p]Thanks

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Master Mason,
    If she likes the flavor of the rubs, but thinks there is too much spice, you could try mixing something like 20% salt, 20% turbinado sugar, 10% paprika, and 50% rub and this might tone it back enough for her, but still give you the nice crust you are looking for. [p]Longer cooks also mellow the spices quite a bit. Aging the spices will mellow them too. Sometimes I'll grab a year or two old bottle of rub when I am cooking for the spice-timid.[p]Salt and pepper is purty good too, and you could play with stuff like coriander seed, garlic powder and mild chilies.[p]Good luck!!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Porkchop
    Porkchop Posts: 155
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    yep! coriander is great with tex-mex flavors! it likes cumin, oregano, and chiles. a good "secret" little addition to make flavors pop, especially when freshly ground.[p]the spice man's givin' up some gold here!

• Porkchop
    Porkchop Posts: 155
    Options
    Master Mason,
    what NB said. celery seed is another big fave. fresh ground; a relatively small amount will really wake up your spice rub if you don't already include it. forgo the "celery salt" imo. grind it fresh.

• Master Mason,
    Watch for the new Dizzy Pig spice "shaken the Tree".
    Shipping as sample with DP orders.
    Very good flavor but not hot spice.
    Darian

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Porkchop,
    Funny thing about that he likes coriander but not cilantro...I know it's the chicken egg thing.

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    Coriander taste like lemon, cilantro taste like soap.
    Nuff said?
    Hee
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Nature Boy:[p]That is how I feel about recipes that call for parsley. American parsley is for rabbits! Depending upon the recipe I eliminate the parsley or substitute cilantro![p]Lan has not taught you yet?
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Hey bud! How you been mang?
    I am also not a big fan of parsley. Lan has been teaching me for over 20 years now, and I keep trying. Still tastes like soap. Ivory soap to be exact!![p]I'll keep tryin, bud!
    Hope you and the whole fam-damily are doin' mighty fine.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Funny you mention soap. That's exactly how I used to think of cilantro. After working in the boonies of Latin America for five years, where I didn't have much cuisine choice, I learned to like it. Now when I cook Mexican I have to have it. It is definitely an acquired taste.
    Cheers, Bob

• Nature Boy
    Options
    bobbyb,
    So, maybe it takes longer than 20 years to acquire it?? LOL.
    Like I said, I'll keep workin on it. It is definitely less appalling than it used to be!
    Cheers back dewd.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]You ever toast the corriander first?[p]Ed
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    EdinTX,
    I often toast spices if I will be using them as a condiment, but in my mind (which is sometimes wacked) I don't see any reason to toast spices that are gonna be cooked. [p]I like to keep an open mind though. Have you noticed a difference in toasted vs. non toasted spices when cooking with them? Seems like a lot of cooks do this. Just haven't noticed a difference myself.[p]Thanks!
    Chris[p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy,[p]Chris. I have on occasion toasted in a dry iron skillet schezuan pepper corns and margarita/kosher salt for twice cooked oriental duck and a few other oriental poultry dishes, grind in a spice grinder after toasting. Nice smoked flavor, also coriander seeds toast nicely for flavor. I am sure there are others that release the aroma of the seed with heat.

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Richard:[p]I have heard you can get more mileage out of old spices by toasting them in a cast iron pan. In other words, toasting old spices wakes them up and releases flavors that would otherwise be lost.
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Howdy Richard
    I totally agree that the flavor is released and new flavors are formed when spices are toasted, but I also notice this occurs similarly when applied to meat and then cooked. I guess my thinking says why do it twice?[p]Now, if you are adding spices to a marinade or a brine that will be absorbed into the meat, then toasting seems to make sense. But when the spices are stuck to the exterior of the meat and subjected to a "toasting" during the cook, it seems redundant to me. I could easily be wrong here. Maybe the pan is hotter than the outside of the meat gets, so there would actually be an added benefit to pre-toasting??[p]Interestin stuff I tellya. Maybe an experiment is in order![p]On another note, I heard a rumor the ban on szechuan peppercorns has been lifted. you heard anything official??[p]And on yet another note, I would really love to hear more about your twice cooked duck. Duck is one of my favorites!
    Best!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Master Mason,
    I’d recommend blending your own rub. Start with three parts aromatic herb, for instance thyme; add two parts something mild such as dried parsley. Blend in one part kosher salt and one part turbinado sugar. Finally add just a whiff black pepper. If you compound this by teaspoons, you’ll have seven-plus teaspoons – just enough for a trial batch.[p]Vary specific herbs, and relative quantities, to suit your taste and that of your wife.[p]HTH
    Ken

• egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Well, if you assume that heating the corriander and pepper and whatever else until it starts to pop (is this right?) does something magical to those spices and you are planning on letting the meat sit in the fridge for a day with those spices rubbed all over it, it could be that you would get more/difference flavor infusion into the meat during that time. Whether you get that same magic during the long cook is a good question. Sound like a great reason for me to cook some butts.[p]Thanks,[p]Ed