Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HEY!!! Are you looking at my Butt?

Options
New Egger here, doing 2 butts tonight so I can pull them and have them tomorrow at the Jimmy Buffet tailgate in St. Louis. A couple questions.... Cook to 195 or 205?? Rest in cooler for a 45 minutes, then pull. What is the best way to heat it for tomorrow? Appreciate your help!! 

Comments

• luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Options
    What i'd do is let them get 165* and then put them in an aluminum pan (throw away type) and then add about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of apple juice and then seal with foil and let go until a knife just feels as if its falling threw.At that point there done.You can use a couple. Of forks and pull apart. Then you can sauce them up or what you may. You won't beable to stop at one mouth full!
    Good lucky
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    I just did my first one about a month ago, so by no means am I an expert, but everyone was very pleased with their meal.   I pulled mine at 195, wrapped in foil, placed it in cooler for about 45 minutes, then pulled.   Had very nice bark, and good smoke profile.
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Options
    Are you from St. Louis Mike?  We are in St. Peters :) Your butts look awesome.  I did kind of a hybrid version of what both these guys did.  I spritzed with apple juice while cooking, pulled them off grate at 195 - 200, foiled them, wrapped in towel and put in cooler for a couple hours.    Good luck!
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    Let me ride till they probe like buttah, no resistance. You'll know it when you feel it. Start checking around 195, but mine usually go north of 200. THEN they're done. Don't worry about finished temp, or time. You can also wiggle the bone. When it pulls free, it's done. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    +1 to @theyolksonyou

check around ~190 and let it go until it proves with no resistance 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • PSHome
    PSHome Posts: 41
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Pull at 195, FTC for about an hour or whenever is convenient.  They'll stay warm (don't let them drop below 140) in the cooler wrapped in foil + towels for 4-6 hrs.  You can reheat in oven or crock pot, but you'll need several hrs.  Sometimes a little extra fat or apple juice helps when reheating.  Reheating in the mircrowave will help speed things along and while you might take a minor hit on Taste/texture, it'll still be the best pulled pork your tailgaters taste.