Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza transfer

Options
jabam
jabam Posts: 1,829
Stupid question! How do you guys transfer pizza from whatever you prepared it on to the stone on the egg? I have tried several different ways and still have trouble in the area. 
Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Build your pies on parchment paper.  Bake with the parchment paper for the first few minutes or the whole cook.

Options
    parchment paper
  • jabam
    Options
    Got it! Thanks guys!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I prefer to sprinkle a little (a VERY little) semolina on a wooden peel, then I shape the dough and plop it onto the peel and add my toppings. Shake the peel after each topping to keep the dough from sticking. Works for me every time.

Some prefer to build the pie on parchment paper and then place the whole thing on the stone. They pull the paper out after a couple of minutes. I tried that a couple of times and thought the crust sucked. Might have been bad dough, but whatever, I haven't tried it again.

Still others use a pizza screen and just put the whole thing on the stone and leave it there until done. For me, that's even worse than parchment!

Or, you could get a steel cake pan and do a Chicago deep dish or a cast iron skillet for a pan pizza. Those are both great too and no transfer needed.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Another major fan of parchment paper here! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Options
    +1 for parchment paper
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Parchment is the easy way.  But, parchment is only good to 400 or 450 degrees.  Who knows what is leaching into the pie at 500-600 degrees.

Personally I wanted to learn the proper way with the peel, and have sacrificed a few toppings to the lump gods along the way.  Now I've got it, and haven't dropped any toppings for a very long time.  It's really easier than it looks.
    Phoenix 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Wooden peel with parchment paper under the dough/pie, then I remove the parchment after about 1-3 minutes on the stone and pie removal/retrieval with the metal peel.  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    +1 on course ground cornmeal..love the crunchiness

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• lantzwr
    lantzwr Posts: 229
    Options
    +1 on cornmeal on pizza peel...have never lost a pizza and I have cooked many of them.
    RobLarge BGE, Merritt Island, (Space Coast of Florida)

Boiler UP
  • Volegger
    Volegger Posts: 9
    Options
    Come off $60 and buy a Super peel. Amazon or google it. Only wish I had done it sooner. We do a lot of pizzas
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Corn meal
    Agree.

Dust Peel with Corn Meal. Easy peasy.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Volegger said:
    Come off $60 and buy a Super peel. Amazon or google it. Only wish I had done it sooner. We do a lot of pizzas
    I agree - the Super Peel lets you use even gooey dough! BTW years ago they used to offer laser engraved ones. Maybe you've heard of this guy.  LOL

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jabam
    Options
    Will get the Super Peel!! Thanks everyone!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You might want to consider an epicurean peel. I love mine. It's slicker than wood. I make pizzas using that peel and pull pizzas using an old BGE wooden peel. 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I use 2 peels. I put semolina (Corn meal burns too easily) on the peel and build the pizza and then it just slides off onto the pizza stone.  I remove the pizza with a metal peel which frees up the wooden peel to build the next pizza.

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Hands down parchment paper. Pull it out after 2 to 3 minutes.. Also when you make multiple pies ahead you can slide it back on peel just as easy... No mess either...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    Never heard of the super peel so that could be a new item for me!  I found that if you use good dough with corn meal it works fine.  I buy most of my dough from pizza restaurants now due to time and haven't had any problems.  The parchment method works great too.
    Milton, GA.