Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Traditional skewers vs The Fire Wire for Kabobs.........

Options
Sorry to those who may look down upon an old school(er) on the kobob making / cooking front. I do love a Kobob (using beef tenderloin) and fresh supper veggies. One of my absolute favorite meals.

I keep seeing the Fire Wire advertised and wish to learn from those who have tried them? Are they easier to turn? Easy to skewer? better for marinating? Other then perhaps creating a long string what are the proven benefits / shortcomings of the Fire Wire as it relates to cooking on a BGE? Thanks in advance....
Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
Run me out in the cold rain and snow

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I have some, and have never used them. Maybe I'll try to find them and do that soon .
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Earshots
    Earshots Posts: 110
    Options
    They work great!  Put the end through the loop so flipping is easy.  
    Tallmadge Ohio, XL and S eggs 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i like to make my own from ss weld wire, i like the double skewer so things dont spin when i turn them. have different sizes for different kabobs

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I like my firewire.  Its easy to arrange on the grill but other than that I can't think of any real benefits.   If you already have some old school skewers just go with those. I mostly use mine to make moink balls.  I find the firewire goes through the frozen meatballs easier than toothpicks. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    I have never used the firewire product but Big Green Craig swears by them..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    @fishlessman that's a great idea with the double skewer. I love eating kabobs but I find making them infuriating with everything spinning around on a single skewer. 
  • nlovold
    nlovold Posts: 194
    Options
    I had the FireWire, used them once and gave them away.  I prefer flat metal or double bamboo.  For me everything spun on the FireWire when I tried flipping.  I'd rather not skewer than deal with that business.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I have a set and I don't care for them. The wire diameter is so large that you can'the stab anything small like with a regular skewer. I prefer the double fork metal ones so the food doesn't spin when you turn it.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    @fishlessman A trick I learned forma  a chef I had when I was just starting int he business was to "weave" the skewer through the meat. If you just push it through it will have a tendency to spin.
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited May 2015
    Options

We have used flexible skewers.  Once.  Maybe twice.

Perhaps there's an advantage to them if you're aiming for a specific, special presentation . . . I can't imagine what that would be.

The other Eggers are spot on.  To avoid spinning food, the best approach is either dual pronged skewers or two single skewers used for the same kabob.

An additional alternative is "Grill Combs". 

We have four of them.  They're okay, but note that the working area - the part with tines - is only 8 1/4" in length. 

You can find skewers longer than that if capacity is an issue.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Mine lay in the drawer. I thought with the blunt end that it was difficult to thread veggies on the wire so I sharpened it and that helped. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    I have a set of the four combs like Sardonicus posted.  They have been in my tucked away in a cabinet since I got them for Christmas.  I used them a month ago for the first time and I love them.  I plan on getting a second set of four.  I have used them three times now, they hold plenty of food.
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • Danielson
    Danielson Posts: 54
    Options
    I like the FireWire and don't have much trouble turning them on the grill. Would recommend them for ease of cleaning 

• Danielson
    Danielson Posts: 54
    Options
    I like the FireWire and don't have much trouble turning them on the grill. Would recommend them for ease of cleaning 

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options

Made these tonight using traditional skewers

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    I'll stick with wood / water soaked than oiled.   
    Metal tends to conduct heat into the center of the pieces which makes them cook unevenly.    
    Or maybe it's just me that never had luck with metalic skewers.
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    firewire is a bit tougher to clean and tends to keep pieces of whatever the cleaning utensil is.... be it a rag, brush or sponge..... other then that they are great.... i guess if you use dishwasher they would be fine. I just think if it holds sponge chunks then it could hold juices or gunk.. straight metal will not hold anything. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I used firewire a few times, but am not crazy about it.  The meat often spun around so some of them got flipped and some didn't.  I like the bamboo ones and lately some flat metal ones.
  • jollygreenegg
    Options
    Old skool bamboo for me, after you're done with the meat just toss the stick in the garbage or in the fire
    MM & XL BGE, Bay Area CA
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I like FireWire better than normal single skewers.  The handle can be outside the egg so it can be handled w/o gloves.  I haven't tried looping them for a second pass to create a double skewer.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Not what you want to hear, but I always cook the veggies in a grill basket and the proteins whole. You can add the veg to the basket in an order that reflects their density and time need to cook and there is also the ability to cook the proteins to your desired temp independent of the veg.  2cents given.