Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Chicken Breasts, Plus The Egg

Options
It's 2:30 am here at the Chicken Ranch. I can't sleep because I'm EGGcited about my most recent Sous Vide cook: chicken breasts with a dill and ginger sauce, finished up on my Small Big Green Egg.

Yes, I made a movie of it and now I want to share it. Here's the link to YouTube:

http://youtu.be/kHfGpd8ITc4

I have been interested in the Sous Vide style of cooking for some time, and only now am I learning what all the excitement is about.

Although I'm not fully convinced that it beats the Egg for deliciousness, I am convinced that as I get more accustomed to it, Sous Vide can greatly expand my range of choices as to how I prepare my food.

I hope you enjoy this brief video of my latest Sous Vide adventure. And, as always, I look forward and very much appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Spring "Getting Deeper And Deeper In Hot Water" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    Options
    Chicken looks great!!  Good job on video...
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    How did it compare to chicken breasts cooked entirely on the egg? Did you notice an improvement in tenderness or moisture?
    Greensboro, NC
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options

Wolfpack... So far, the Egg is far ahead in overall taste, texture and ease of cooking.  But I'm starting to see where the predictability of the sous vide process is a good thing.  That, along with what appears to be a tendency of the meat to be juicier and puffier.  I'm sure things will get even better as I learn more.  Of course, from the start I did not want the sous vide process to 'compete' with the Egg, just open another avenue of Egg'n.

Spring "Egg And Learn" Chicken

• chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    Nice video.  I have a sous vide machine but haven't had the time to play around with it too much.

Can you share your recipe for the dill ginger sauce?  I'm overloaded with dill in my garden and need to use some.
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Nice job, chicken breast are one of the better protein cooks with the SV. I just did 8 thighs at 150 for 3 hours with DP Raging River then coated them with chimichurri and chared them on a 500 dome direct and they really were very good. Try some carrots at 185 with butter and dill for 90 minutes.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • nolabrew
    nolabrew Posts: 246
    Options

Wolfpack... So far, the Egg is far ahead in overall taste, texture and ease of cooking. 

With a little planning a sous vide is a game changer when it comes to ease of cooking.  At least for someone like me who works 10 hours a day.  Toss the food in the night before or in the morning, go to work, then come home and you're only a quick sear away from dinner. 
  • Backyard Mike
    Options
    Good choice on the Sansaire. For searing I use a SearZall. Good job on the video!
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options

Chrisc133... I would be happy to share the recipe for the dill ginger sauce, but I had to improvise in the absence of some of the important ingredients.  Read my Note below:

Mustard Dill Cream Sauce

After searing the chicken in the butter, return the skillet to medium-high heat. Mix the heavy cream and remaining half teaspoon of dill. Bring to a rapid simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low.

Continue to simmer until cream is thickened. Remove from the heat and briskly stir in mustard.

Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Serve chicken breasts topped with the sauce.

Note:  I did not have any heavy cream so I had to improvise.  After considerable thought, I mixed some 2% milk with some mayonnaise, (we like mayonnaise) along with the other sauce ingredients and steps.  Be sure to let the pan temperature drop to a low setting before heating. 

This 'alternative' worked for us but probably not everyone.

Frankly, the chicken was a little dryer than what I usually get just using the Egg, but it was evenly cooked through. 

It's a start...

Good luck with it.

Spring "Always Have A Plan B Handy" Chicken