Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blues Hog or Bad Byron's -- Who you got?

Options
Oh, it's on. It is ON. 

It's a 302 thing . . .

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Looks like some good eating ahead! Personally I have found Bad Byrons to be too salty for my tastes - anybody else also?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    Can't speak for either rub but I did buy a jar of Blues Hog Sauce and I didn't care for it at all. One bite and tossed it.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I'd go with Blues Hog all day.  I'm with @rrp that Bad Byron's is a bit salty, especially on a smaller cut.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Options
    @DoubleEgger the blues hog Tennessee red mixed with a more traditional BBQ sauce makes for great thinner consistency to glaze ribs with for a great color of you ever give it another try. My local BBQ shop guy does competitions and said its his go to for presentation. I've tried and and liked it but it was way too sweet with just the Tennessee red alone. 

@HendersonTRKing haven't tried bad byrons yet but do love some blues hog rub
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • RRP
    Options
    Can't speak for either rub but I did buy a jar of Blues Hog Sauce and I didn't care for it at all. One bite and tossed it.
    It is too sickening sweet for my tastes, but when mixed with Blues Hog Tennessee Red that makes a great tasting sauce to me. Mix it 50/50. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I disagree. I think Bad Byron's is on the Mark in terms of a great balanced rub. Not too salty or not too much heat. I think a lot others I have tried seem saltier than BB. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    Plan is to do one of each just rub and one of each with a glaze of Bone Suckin Sauce. Could be the right amount of variables, depending on whether the cooler of beer lasts thru the cook.  And some trout for the pig-averse among us. Heathens. 

(Hat tip to Mrs. HendersonTRQueen for suggesting that some chores and family time would be a better idea than golf today!)
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Haha, this thread right here is why I really LOVE BBQ! So many different tastes and opinions and no definitive RIGHT answer.

As for me, I think Bad Byron's is darn near perfect, and I use it on everything (often in conjunction with something a little sweeter and/or more complex). Last night we made our favorite homemade kettle corn, which is just black kernel popcorn, a little brown sugar and butt rub; excellent.

I think the Blue's Hog rub is okay, but it's far from my favorite. That being said, their sauces are AMAZING! Far and away my favorite of the 'popular' rubs!

Let us know how the comparison goes, and I hope you dig them both!

Cheers all -
    B_B

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    I disagree. I think Bad Byron's is on the Mark in terms of a great balanced rub. Not too salty or not too much heat. I think a lot others I have tried seem saltier than BB. 

+1

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Funny....I find BBBR to be heavy on the pepper side versus salt.   I like it.  Never tried BH rub but I thought the sauce was too sweet for my taste.  Never thought about mixing it.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    I like bad byrons and I don't find it too salty.   But I also like head country rub and I know others have said they think it's too salty as well.   I've never had blues hog rub but I'm a fan of their red sauce.  Not too fond of the sweet as candy original

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I'm Bad Byrons for the rub.  Then Blues Hog Smokey Mountain for the sauce.  Didn't care for the Tennessee Red or other Blues Hog.  Only the Smokey Mountain.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Never tried Blues Hog, but I looove Bad Byon's!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • nlovold
    nlovold Posts: 194
    Options
    I like Bad Byron's better than the BH, but enjoy both.  The Byron's is a much finer grind and it is easy to overdo it IMO.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    RRP said:
    It is too sickening sweet for my tastes, but when mixed with Blues Hog Tennessee Red that makes a great tasting sauce to me. Mix it 50/50. 
    I don't think I'm going to double down on the Blue Hog. I already wasted $10 on the first jar. 
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    I don't think I'm going to double down on the Blue Hog. I already wasted $10 on the first jar. 
    I understand your reluctance. It's just that I had some blues regular and found it too sickening sweet for my tastes and then heard about cutting it and found the mixture to my liking. Besides we are big fans of the TN Red sauce. I warm it straight and serve it as a finishing sauce for pork loin roasts. It really shines to our way of thinking, but to each his own!
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Maybe I'll give it a whirl. I'm like you Ron, that BH was far too sweet. It's too far away from vinegar based Lexington NC BBQ sauce that I love on pork. 
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Options
    RRP said:
    Looks like some good eating ahead! Personally I have found Bad Byrons to be too salty for my tastes - anybody else also?
    Me too.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Funny -- I've found BB to be peppery and bring a bit of heat. Never tried Blues Hog -- it's a far deeper in color and has a cinnamonish aroma. I'm at hour 3 and decided to foil for an hour based on where they are. (I typically go naked for the whole cook, but something's telling me these racks need some help.). 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • setdahook
    setdahook Posts: 284
    Options
    I go bbbr cut with  brown sugar finish with bh sauce
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Getting close. Taste results will be the key. But the colors are there. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    And the winner is:  BB, sauced with Bone Suckin. Big surprise there. No pix of the sticks -- the cooler got emptied out and the locusts set upon the platter. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    4Runner said:
    Funny....I find BBBR to be heavy on the pepper side versus salt.   I like it.  Never tried BH rub but I thought the sauce was too sweet for my taste.  Never thought about mixing it.  
    I agree.  The flavor is ok, but I am cooking for children.  You have to use it sparingly, or the pepper will be to spicy for small kids.  As much as I love pepper on everything, pork is something I don't like as much on. 
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    RRP said:
    I agree- I think of Blues Hog as concentrated BBQ sauce.  I mixed it 50/50 with Fresh Air BBQ sauce which is a vinegar based sauce. 

@HendersonTRKing the ribs look great!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    RRP said:

I have been told in some cooking classes by computation BBQ people that a lot of teams do the 50/50.  I like it better that way .  The sweat sauce actually taste better when used on the meat during cooking instead of a side sauce IMO.

As for the rub I have only used the Blues Hog rub and only a few times.  I have others available to me that I like a lot better, but it is a good rub.  I never used Bad Byron's rub so I can't speak about it.  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.