Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Killer Baked Beans Recipe

Options
CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,247
I am providing lunch for the crew at work consisting of pulled pork sammies in a Piedmont style sauce, cole slaw, and baked beans. I am looking for a killer recipe for the beans. 

Thanks,

Mike
MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Smoke yourself a brisket flat for dinner.  Save some as leftovers and cube it up and put it in the baked beans.  Instant killer baked beans.  I do this with leftover brisky all the time and it's great.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    I have a really good recipe at home, but it's got a LOT of ingredients...I'll post it when I get home later.

• milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Options

Google Keri's Hog Apple Baked Beans. They Rock.

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    @CTMike your crew will love you. About the only treats we get is if the vending machine screws up and drops two bags of Doritos instead of one. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Don_Piero
    Don_Piero Posts: 97
    Options
    I've used Alton Brown's baked beans recipe the last two years and have gotten a lot of compliments.  I make mine with a bit more heat using scotch bonnets.
    Piero from South Etobicoke in Toronto and sometimes Pinellas Park, St.Petersburg, XL-BGE
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,126
    Options
    Killer huh?  Go to ingredient would probably be arsenic, or so the interwebs say.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    @CTMike I actually recently made a post about my baked beans recipe. It's a family recipe that's been passed down from my great grandmother in preprohabition era New England. They're absolutely amazing. Here is the link to the thread and the recipe. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1180001/st-louis-ribs-and-my-great-grandmas-baked-beans#latest
  • CTMike
    Options
    @johnkitchens Thanks. I am a Senior Reactor Operator at the local nuke plant and our crew works 12 hour rotating shifts on a 5 week rotation. Once per 5 weeks we (3 SRO's on the crew) try to provide a meal for the crew in return for their hard work. 

Anyhow, I appreciate the tips so far. Also if anyone has a Piedmont recipe I'd appreciate that as well. I have been using Fat Johnnie's Bastardized Piedmont Sauce, but a couple folks complained the vinegar taste was too strong. I s'pose I could always just keep the sauce on the side. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Are you in CT @CTMike? There are three nuclear power plants not that far from me down here. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • CTMike
    Options
    Yup, sadly I am in CT, the land of high taxes and gun-grabbing politicians. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Mermaid485
    Options

This recipe is from a very famous Boston restaurant.  I use it all the time.

http://www.newenglandrecipes.org/html/baked-beans.html

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

I ate at durgin park once. Had to be 40 years ago, but I haven't forgotten. Without exception, THE worst food experience of my life! The wait was interminable, the drinks were lousy, the food was worse, and the waitress was so bad, I was going to leave no tip. One of the people in my group said, we can't leave NO tip... so he flipped a nickel on the table and we walked out. Maybe their beans are better that the food we ate. My wife spent the night throwing up. A truly wonderful evening. :lol: 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 458
    Options
    Damn... word association. 

I haven't watched the Killer Bean video in years!  "Just a bean, trying to get some sleep..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSSFvuZ6wng

San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options

1- Boston Butt 

Fat Boys Cajun Rub

Olive oil

28oz Bush’s Baked Beans

15oz Black Beans

15oz Pinto Beans

1 cup Brown Sugar

1tbs Worcestershire Sauce

1tbs Apple Cider Vinegar

1tbs Minced Garlic

1/4 cup Honey

1/4 cup Stubbs BBQ Sauce

2 tbs Fat Boys Cajun Rub

1/2 cup Ketchup

2 tbs Yellow Mustard

Boston Butt - Rinse, dry and coat with olive oil, sprinkle liberally with Cajun Rub.

BBQ Beans - Mix bean and all ingredients together in foil pan.

Start the Green Egg / Smoker and set up for and indirect cook with lump charcoal and Hickory chips for smoke. When Egg is at 250 degrees put the BBQ Beans on the platesetter and put the Boston Butt on the rack above the beans and slow cook for about 2 hours then take the beans off and refrigerate and leave the Boston Butt for approximately 7-8 hours until meat is has an internal temperature of 205 degrees. 

When the Boston Butt is almost finished put the beans back on the egg to heat. 

Prepared by: Jim White

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,126
    edited April 2015
    Options

I ate at durgin park once. Had to be 40 years ago, but I haven't forgotten. Without exception, THE worst food experience of my life! The wait was interminable, the drinks were lousy, the food was worse, and the waitress was so bad, I was going to leave no tip. One of the people in my group said, we can't leave NO tip... so he flipped a nickel on the table and we walked out. Maybe their beans are better that the food we ate. My wife spent the night throwing up. A truly wonderful evening. :lol: 
    Damn man, is there anytime in your life you've had a positive experience!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • CTMike
    edited April 2015
    Options
    So a shoulder and a butt came off earlier, and are resting, waiting to be pulled. Baked beans are simmering, and some ABT's just went on the XL:

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT.