Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Short Story, Long

Options
Langner91
Langner91 Posts: 2,120
edited April 2015 in EggHead Forum

This is my first new post here.  Two weeks ago, @pgprescott sold me a LBGE and some of the necessities.  I travel a lot for work, so I have not been able to practice as much as I would like.  Today  appeared to be a total washout, but the rain stopped about 2:00 this afternoon and I was able to try my maiden meal.

I went with Chicken Thighs, sprinkled with Dizzy Dust.  375 degrees raised direct to 170 degrees internal.  WOW!  My kids agreed it was the best chicken they had ever had. 

I also did some asparagus as the chicken was finishing.  It picked up a lot of smoke taste.  I am not sure how my daughters felt about it, but it was all eaten.

Clinton, Iowa

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Glad to hear you got a cook in today. This weather sucks! Sounds great. Oh, I hope you don't pay too dearly for the whiskey consumption. I had a long Saturday, last week. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Sounds good, sure wish I could see it....
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Welcome. We like pics!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Glad to hear you got a cook in today. This weather sucks! Sounds great. Oh, I hope you don't pay too dearly for the whiskey consumption. I had a long Saturday, last week. 
    @pgprescott you sold him an egg, got him on the forum, and didn't tell him rule one was pics or it didn't happen?  :grimacing: 
  • Langner91
    Options
    He did explain that.  I am having a drunken free-for-all trying to post pictures.  There are pictures.  Honest!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • pgprescott
    Options
    @pgprescott you sold him an egg, got him on the forum, and didn't tell him rule one was pics or it didn't happen?  :grimacing: 
    Oops. He's just gettin going. He will have to join us weirdos taking pics of our food. Our neighbors must get a good chuckle out of it. 
  • Langner91
    Options
    IMG_0719
    There is the dinner, about to come off the grill. Obligatory plate picture, with fork. IMG_0727
    Finally, Now that I am rolling. I found a new use for my ManGrates. The magnet on my thermometer sticks to them perfectly! IMG_0721
    Overall, it was a great deal of fun!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • flyer_egger
    flyer_egger Posts: 128
    Options
    Welcome to the err, aug,  ahah, madness that is egging.  Good looking cook
    NEPA, Med egg,
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Way to build the drama. You obviously have been paying attention to the loons on this forum. Man grates, forks, you hit all the bases. Homerun
  • NCEggSmoker
    NCEggSmoker Posts: 336
    Options
    You win the Internet.  Mangrates for the win. 
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Welcome sir!  Great first cook!
    Flint, Michigan
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Nice first post!

Might need to order some mangrates, anyone have the super secret code from @Boomer?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Great first cook...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Nice cook!  Even got a fork in the pics.  So did @pgprescott throw in a bag of Rockwood to sweeten the deal?

Love your raised grate setup too!   Nice use of an old can.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    You guys always talk about these man grates in hushed tones - they must be awesome.  I just looked and they cost $98 including shipping.  I took your word on the thermopen and it's great.  Pulling trigger on man grates tonight.

Anybody have access to the coupon code which was mentioned?

OP - welcome here, and nice looking first cook.
    Phoenix 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    edited April 2015
    Options
    blasting said:
    You guys always talk about these man grates in hushed tones - they must be awesome.  I just looked and they cost $98 including shipping.  I took your word on the thermopen and it's great.  Pulling trigger on man grates tonight.

Anybody have access to the coupon code which was mentioned?

OP - welcome here, and nice looking first cook.
    Coupon code: GassersSuck 75% off and free shipping.

PM @Boomer he can hook you up, even though he doesn't schill for them.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @blasting - If you want the back story and have a few hours to waste reading...

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1140329/mangrates

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options
    I wonder if the smokey asparagus has anything to do with cooking direct and drippings on the coals causing extra bitter smoke.  You could pull the chicken or put the thighs on the foil before grilling the asparagus to try and get back to clean smoke.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• pgprescott
    Options
    Good point @BigWader chicken drippings can put off bad smoke. Hell, I don't know. I've been at this 12+ years and still learning. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Nah, I'm just messing with you guys.  I've read enough posts on this forum to know that mangrates are a lighning rod round these parts.

I did appreciate the private message trying to stop me from a grave mistake.
    Phoenix 
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Great looking cook..Welcome..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....