Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke Quality

Options
Why does it take soooo much longer to reach smoke nirvana when setting up for low and slow than it does for a 375° cook?

X-Large BGE, DigiQ, ThermaQ (Blue), CyberQ, Joetissirie, UltraQ, (ex.FlameBoss 200)

Highland Village, TX

Comments

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    The higher temp burns off the bad smoke quicker? I dunno.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The lower heat levels take longer to drive off the volatile chemicals still left in the lump, and to dry out the smoke wood.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I am assuming you're referencing the burn off of VOC's?  

Higher the heat the more lump is being burned and carbonized, less heat the less gets carbonized.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • H12mike
    H12mike Posts: 134
    Options
    So I guess there is no "fix" for getting rid of the VOC's quicker at "low & slow" set up?

X-Large BGE, DigiQ, ThermaQ (Blue), CyberQ, Joetissirie, UltraQ, (ex.FlameBoss 200)

Highland Village, TX

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    If you know you are going to do a low and slow in the next couple of days, load the egg to the top of the fire ring or more a day or two ahead or the previous night and fire it up. let it burn out until you see sweet blue and then shut her down. Now when you are ready to cook you can fire it up and no waiting around. I do this on Sunday for the mid week cooks, since they are usually pretty simple I rarely run out of lump before friday. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • tarheelmatt
    edited April 2015
    Options
    H12mike said:
    So I guess there is no "fix" for getting rid of the VOC's quicker at "low & slow" set up?
    There are different lumps out there that doesn't take as long.  What type of lump are you burning?  Also, what is your lighting technique? 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    If you use leftover lump, there's less stuff left in charcoal. Unfortunately, even well seasoned wood still has lots of moisture in it, so there's partial combustion for awhile.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    You will get VOC's from the wood you add to get the flavor you want too.  Usually when I do a low & slow by the time the egg has stabilized at 25 to 250 over a 30 to 40 minute window the bad smoke is gone, but sometimes stabilizing can take up to an hour and either way you should be ok.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • H12mike
    Options
    I use Rockwood lump and it does take about an hour after reaching temp of 225 to rid the ugly smoke.  So, I guess this is considered normal and I am ok with that.

Highland Village, TX

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    H12mike said:
    I use Rockwood lump and it does take about an hour after reaching temp of 225 to rid the ugly smoke.  So, I guess this is considered normal and I am ok with that.
    Hmm.. Interesting.  How are you lighting your lump? 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • H12mike
    Options
    I use a single KJ fire starter placed in the middle of the lump.

Highland Village, TX

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Are you putting in other wood for flavor?  If so that may take an hour to go away at 225.  I usually do most of my l&s's at 250, so that helps get rid of it faster.  If you had done a l&s precious and there is a little fat and grease mixed in with the lump that could take a little while to burn off too.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • H12mike
    Options
    I learned from this discussion to allow about 2 hours for low & slow stabilization.  This is ok,  because it will allow more time in the spa to enjoy my Woodford Double Oak!

Highland Village, TX

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    Try a weed torch to light.  I don't have to wait around that long for smoke to clear.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    only time i wait 2 hours for the smoke to clear is when my egg is drenching wet at light up. 1/2 hour max for me with a low and slow
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • H12mike
    Options
    We have had a lot of rain recently and the last low & slow was during a thunderstorm.  BINGO!!  But I am going to still tell the wife it takes two hours.

Highland Village, TX

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,637
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    If you know you are going to do a low and slow in the next couple of days, load the egg to the top of the fire ring or more a day or two ahead or the previous night and fire it up. let it burn out until you see sweet blue and then shut her down. Now when you are ready to cook you can fire it up and no waiting around. I do this on Sunday for the mid week cooks, since they are usually pretty simple I rarely run out of lump before friday. 
    this makes sense, do you clean out day before, load to the gills with lump and do a shorter cook night before.  using leftover lump and a chimney starter with an oil soaked paper towel, I go from lighting the paper towel to cooking chicken or fish in maybe 15 minutes.
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    Most low and slow for me takes 30 minutes to burn up the bad smoke. As you mentioned, it must be other circumstances causing it to go that long.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Get it to 420 and the smoke will be perfect :lol: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I have to admit I'm constantly tinkering to get more effecient. Right now I  clean and load it on Sunday to the gills with no intention of cooking. I use a weed burner and if I get low during the week I add more at the end of the cook, wait for blue and then shut her down. This seems to keep me rolling
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,231
    Options
    +1 on the torch.