Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Pizza Peel Question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Aluminum or wood?

Comments

• Mik of Alaska
    Options
    Zee,
    Go to www.thenakedwhiz.com and all your questions about a pizza peel will be answered. I made mine like they said except I made the handle twice as long. Personal preferance as far as I can figure. Definately wood as it just seems to make things slide so easily. Don't forget to use a little cornstarch. Mik

• T-47
    T-47 Posts: 84
    Options
    I like my Aluminum one. I have never had a problem with sticking on mine, and it only cost me $10 at a restaurant supply store. If you have kids and are going to let them use it, one of the nice things is that if they drop it, the edge holds up, a nice thin wood edge will chip easier. My kids love to pull the pizzas off. I also have left mine hanging outside for a couple years and it still looks great, and that’s in the Wet Pacific NW!
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Zee,[p]A cooked pizza is an amazingly slippery mess on a metal peel.[p]Get a wooden one.[p]Spin
  • CJ
    CJ Posts: 50
    Options
    Zee,
    I use one or the other. The Aluminum is a bit more slippery, and the Wood seems to want to hang on to the pie more. I use Corn Meal on both so the Pie will slide.

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Zee,
    I have two wooden peels. One for my large and one for my small. This way I can make 2 pizza's at a time. I like my wooden one but I love my Super Peel. I you are interested I put the link below. It is well worth it as the pie does not stick to the peel.

[ul][li]Super Peel[/ul]
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Retired RailRoader,[p]Just stopping by. Thanks for the plug. We are providing Several Super Peels as door prizes for the OK Eggfest again this year, and would be happy to do the same for other events. Any organizers interested can just shoot me an email.[p]Re: Wood or Metal, this is exactly what Cook's Illustrated set out to determine last year. Below is what they wrote:[p]Gaspar[p]
    Baking Peels

We tested five peels, both metal and wood, hoping to decide once and for all which material makes a better peel. We found it easy to define the dimensions of our ideal peel: A 14- to 16-inch peel will accommodate free-form bread loaves and is spacious enough for any pizza. Ideal handle length? A minimum of 8 inches is necessary to keep your hands a safe distance from the hot baking stone.[p]But trying to decide between metal and wood was not so easy. Both materials have their disadvantages. A wooden peel is tricky to store; if stored lying flat it will not dry evenly and may warp. The thickness of a wooden peel can make it difficult to slide neatly under an item ready to come out of the oven, and wood is harder to clean than metal. However, dough is more likely to stick to a metal peel. What to buy? If you're a traditionalist with space to hang the peel during storage, wood would be your favorite; metal, on the other hand, is practical and easy to store. Both types are easy to find for about $20.[p]But if you're willing to spend an extra $15, we recommend the Super Peel, which is simply a regular wooden peel outfitted with a pastry cloth that's threaded through the board like a conveyor belt. When well floured, the cloth proved to be essentially nonstick. It practically guarantees a perfectly round pizza and has a gentle touch with bread loaves. We bought ours from Exoproducts for $33.95, (518-371-3173, www.superpeel.com). [p]