Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pork Butt

Options
Hi all,

I'll be cooking my first butt in the morning for tomorrow's dinner.  I picked up a 4lb boneless butt and rubbed it with yellow mustard and a rub made up of brown sugar, garlic, paprika, salt, and pepper and then wrapped it in foil until tomorrow morning.

I'm planning on getting the butt on the BGE at 10am at 225-250 degrees, allowing for ~1.5 hours per pound until 190 degrees IT and then foiling until dinner at 6pm. 

Does this his sound about right to you guys?

Comments

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Boneless may cook a little faster, but that sounds good. You can also apply another coat of rub prior to getting it on the Egg  Make sure you cook until it probs passed in and out nice and easy like butta.  Always cook to tenderness not time or temp. A butt will hold for a few hours wrapped in foil 2 layers then a towl placed in a dry cooler. Best of luck and make sure to post pictures.....
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• ryantt
    Options
    These are from earlier today, 2 butts about 9lbs each. 

• ChihuahuaTN
    Options
    In my humble experience , with my LGE @225-250 my BBQ butts are usually a 2h per pound and with shoulder/picnic (Kim Kardashian cut) its a bit over 2h per pound.  

A typical shoulder/picnic (Kim Kardashian cut) that is 10pds take me 24-26h at 235.

I hope this helps....
    Mike 
    XL-BGE (Wine N Down), L-BGE (Whiskey Dreams),  MiniMax-BGE (Bourbon N Bowties), Mini-BGE (Beer Run) 
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    At that temp your are probably close. I usually cook em around 300 or 325 for roughly 1 hr a lb. But @ryantt is right, until it probes with no resistance. Unless you want to chop it. I had two 8 pounders get done today in 6 hours at 325 and foil towel cooler'ed them for nearly 3 hrs. Still great. But each butt has its own personality.  
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    190 May be a bit low. Like mentioned, cook till it probes easy. Could easily be over 200°
    NW IOWA
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    190 is a good temp to start checking for tenderness. I'd ftc as soon as parts start to probe tender, the ftc will take care of it from there. Your grill temp sounds good. Be prepared for a stall. You can ftc a pork butt for a good amount of time pretty easily if it's sone early. Just remember, it's very hard to screw up a pork butt. Don't overthink it. 
    NW IOWA
  • Brimo
    Brimo Posts: 53
    Options
    I'll agree with most said above.  At 235 I figure it at least 2hrs./lb.  Always cook mine to 195.  And I'd advise you maybe read some other threads about cooking pork butt to understand the plateau you will very likely go through on your way to 195 that will occur around 160-170.  Be patient and be sure and get to that 195 temp.  You will be the next food champ to you friends and family who will want to be there for your next cook. Good luck and good eating.
  • Monaarts
    Monaarts Posts: 191
    Options
    Thanks guys!  All great feedback. I'm excited for dinner tomorrow night! :-)
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I'm not too sure about the overnite wrap in foil. I would wrap it in saran wrap. If theres much mustard exposed to that foil it could pose a problem. Acid plus foil isnt a great combination. 

Little Rock, AR

• Monaarts
    Options
    On and smoking with some apple wood!  Thanks again for the help guys!
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    I would suggest either wrapping your platesetter in aluminum foil or a drip pan next time . Only to keep cleaner. If you use a drip pan elevate it off the platesetter with wadded up balls of foil.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Monaarts
    Options
    I would suggest either wrapping your platesetter in aluminum foil or a drip pan next time . Only to keep cleaner. If you use a drip pan elevate it off the platesetter with wadded up balls of foil.
    I meant to do a drip pan with water and apple cider vinegar, thanks for the reminder!!!  It was only 45 mins in so I fixed it. All better!!
  • ryantt
    Options
    Looking good, can't wait to see the finished product.  

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Don't waste the effort for water or apple. No need and when it runs out temp will spike