Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burnt Ends Help

Options
Planning on doing burnt ends for the first time this weekend for the basketball tourny.  I'm planning on doing only a point instead of entire packer.  After doing some research I'm finding some conflicting ways of doing them, so I have a few questions.

Should I cook the point all the way to final temp (190-205) and then chop and sauce?
Should I cook until the first stall (165ish) and then chop?
Seems like definitely should sauce the last 30 min as opposed to the whole time?
Does it matter if done l&s vs turbo?

Was reading about the APL with melting garlic.  Do you make the melting garlic first and then add to burnt ends or do you add the oil and garlic to the pan with the burnt ends?

Large and Small BGE
Central, IL

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    When I did APL recipe I made the melting garlic then added the cubed point to make the burnt ends.  Turned out great!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    When I have done them I take the point off the packer when the flat is done anywhere from 200-212.  I then chop into 1 inch cubes add sauce put in foil pan and cover with foil and let them cook 2-3 hours more at 230-250 dome.  I call them beef candy.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I will be honest I have never done them, but based on the APL recipe it sounds like the brisket is fully cooked.  He doesn't list a target internal temperature but at 325 for 2.5 hours unwrapped, then 3 more hours wrapped in foil I would guesstimate the points are going to be in the 190-200 range.  

The melting garlic is just lots of garlic and herbs put in a small sauce pan on the smoker for a 2-3 hours until tender.  If you have room I would just do this on the egg with the brisket points.  

http://www.adamperrylang.com/recipes/burnt-ends-with-melting-garlic

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys!
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL