Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone have this Pizza stone

Options
Been searching for a good stone. Thinking about this one.  Looks pretty good.  1/2 inch thick. Great reviews. Anyone out there have it or a suggestion for a different one?

Large

Comments

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Hmmm no . . . not sure, but it looks too thin?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    If you're going nuclear I'd go thicker. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options
    I have that exact stone.  I've had it for about 4 years and have done many pizza cooks on it.  I usually keep it around 500-550 dome but it has snuck up to 600 with no problems.  I would buy it again.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I'd get it then
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    I got the Emile Henry stone from Woot when it was on sale. Amazon has it in stock. It makes a very good crust since it is glazed ceramic.  http://www.amazon.com/Emile-Henry-Flame-Pizza-Stone/dp/B003UI8B2S/

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    It's hard to beat the BGE stones 
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    +1 on the Emile Henry stone. I got mine around a year ago now and LOVE it. As stated above it makes a great crust and has no problem handling higher heats. I usually cook pizzas around 650. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    +1 on the Emile Henry stone. I got mine around a year ago now and LOVE it. As stated above it makes a great crust and has no problem handling higher heats. I usually cook pizzas around 650. 
    Me too - though I only use it inside, but use my BGE stone on the egg. Why? Just the way I roll!  =)

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Dredger
    Options
    I was so impressed that I ordered a second one. I check Woot frequently. If I see them on sale again, I'll post it. I really like Emile Henry products. I got the bread cloche after I saw the quality of the pizza stone. Amazing products.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    The 4461 is a 16" round, same price as the Emile Henry at 14.5" round.

The glazed Henry seems easier to clean - but as a pizza crust browning device, how dirty is it going to be?

The real question is will it take the heat? I've used a pampered chef stone at 600f, and I was told by BGE it would break at that temp. Of course, they're selling a competitive pizza stone so I took their advice with two grains of salt.

Amazon returns are pretty good - pain to ship it back... but they'll reimburse.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Dredger
    Options
    @DieselkW, it's very easy to clean plus it can go in the dishwasher, unlike a regular pizza stone. I usually just wipe off any residue and give it a quick rinse with dish detergent and water. Looks like the day I opened the box after a year. It has a two year warranty. Not sure about warranty on other stones.

@RRP, that's why I got the second one. One for inside and one for outside. BTW, thanks for the quick delivery of the Rutland gasket. We'll try to get it installed this week, weather permitting.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    I have an Old Stone Pizza stone.  Works great. My Old Stone might be thicker though.  It's hard to tell with the picture.  
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Options
    I've had that Old Stone pizza stone for about 6 or 7 years.  Use in the egg and home oven.   I've had it over 600 degrees way up in the dome too.  Works great and very solid.
    Mamaroneck
  • Dmax007
    Dmax007 Posts: 30
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback. I think I am going to pull the trigger on the old stone!!  
    Large
  • garydean
    garydean Posts: 2
    Options
    Go to California pizza stones they make stones that can survive the high temps of the egg. http://www.californiapizzastones.com
  • SwampBadger
    Options
    I have the Old Stone.  Had it up to 900 many times with no problems.  Mine's not pretty like that anymore....

In dog beers, I've only had one.

• Dmax007
    Options
    Got it!!  Looks like a nice stone. First cook with it was an epic fail!!  All my fault. Had I ssues getting pizza off the peel onto the hot stone (didn't use corn meal and/or parchment paper) and Burnt crust. Not sure why the crust burnt - most of the underside was black/charred - I let it stableize at 650.  I'm thinking kept the lid open too long trying to get it off the peel and I was going legs down so perhaps radiant heat was transferring from the ps to the stone - though I did have the grate between the two??  Next time going legs down, grate, then pizza stone. 
    Large
  • Dmax007
    Options
    I meant Next time -- legs up 
    Large