Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My brisket is too big - Help

Options
Picked up an 8.3 pound brisket to cook this weekend on my Minimax, and as I expected, it's a bit too big for the lil' guy.  I tried wrapping some foil around a firebrick, but the MM dome is too small for that and it would be touching.  So I have no choice but to cut some off.  Should I take from the flat end, or from the point?  I would assume to cut some away from the point, since I plan on slicing the flat to serve.  But would love the experts to weigh in.  Thanks
LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Personally, the point is my favorite part of brisket, I would cut off part of the flat. You can grind it up for burgers.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    You can fold the brisket and cook it .. it will shrink and then open it up to fit the MM
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Drape over a foiled brick or a grilling veggie basket....
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    Drape over a foiled brick or a grilling veggie basket....
    Tried that, wont fit in the MM dome.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Cut some of the flat off and put it under the point bud. Fat from the point will keep basting the flat piece.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    TWSS :lol: 
    Had the same dilemma with a 11# that I was gonna try to finagle into my MM. And I ended up using the LG. If you had to cut it I'd go with Dwayne's suggestion. I've found about the largest I could fit into the MM would be a 8# to maybe a 9# packer using the CGS WOO with PS set-up. Good luck. Please document this cook. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Cut the flat and grind like stated above. Some good burgers there.
  • Greeno55
    Options
    TWSS :lol: 
    Had the same dilemma with a 11# that I was gonna try to finagle into my MM. And I ended up using the LG. If you had to cut it I'd go with Dwayne's suggestion. I've found about the largest I could fit into the MM would be a 8# to maybe a 9# packer using the CGS WOO with PS set-up. Good luck. Please document this cook. 
    You actually fit one that size??  I have the woo and PS.  But then I out it on, it hung off both ends.  Even over a brick in the center, it rubbed up against the lid when closed.
  • Greeno55
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @DMW -Well that's great news. Thanks everyone. So excited for a weekend of Ice Fishning (mostly ice drinking). If it can touch the sides, I'm good. 

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    You're good to go.  Excellent looking briskie!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Options
    @Greeno55 I'd be worried if you're not touching the sides :pensive: 
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Stoked to see how things turn out - hope the lump lasts all night.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Greeno55
    Options
    Stoked to see how things turn out - hope the lump lasts all night.
    That's my concern as well. Going to work in making a good fire, and see. Worst case I'm thinking is having to pull a touch early, wrap and refill for the last couple hours. Not ideal, but hopefully won't pooch the cook. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Greeno55 have not done a brisket on my MM "yet". I figured a 8#-9# would fit. This would of course would depend upon the length of the cut. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    DMW said:
    Personally, the point is my favorite part of brisket, I would cut off part of the flat. You can grind it up for burgers.
    I agree cut off the flat.  If you don't have the wherewithal to grind it, semi-freeze it, slice really thinly and then marinate/season and grill directly over high heat, 45-60 seconds per side.  Fantastic in lettuce wraps, tacos, sandwiches, or on a toothpick with some horseradish sauce as an appetizer.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    if your going to low and slow cook it you could get rid of the platesetter and lower the grill, use several layers of tin foil instead

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    It's all about size. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    The size of the meat is not the problem...it's the size of the vessel. The cooking vessel...We are talking about BBQ right?
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    How many "that's what she said" jokes can you find in this thread? 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    ksmyrl said:
    The size of the meat is not the problem...it's the size of the vessel. The cooking vessel...We are talking about BBQ right?
    So it shouldn't be like throwing a hotdog down a hallway.  Nothing wrong with a tight squeeze. After all after your done it shrinks. :fearful: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Greeno55
    Options
    Will cooking like I have it above, all curled up, with little room around it add significant time to the cook? Making it tonight. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Shouldn't. As it shrinks room will become vacant. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Shouldn't. As it shrinks room will become vacant. 
    Then you're done. Have a smoke. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,111
    edited March 2015
    Options
    All of you stop being  infantile .... plus everytime I read your comments it is all I can do to not lol.  I'm in an office and must keep a straight face.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    All of you stop being  infantile .... plus everytime I read your comments it is all I can do to not lol.  I'm in an office and must keep a straight face.
    If you were on eastern time you could be drinking too. 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Where's the results?
    Seattle, WA
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Getting off work late here.  Please document this one well with pics in the MM start to slicing. Thanks.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Huh huh huh. You said "infantile". 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    Options
    In Nigeria that could be grounds for a divorce =)
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About