Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Other smoking options?

Options
ok....I am sick of this cold weather and am having serious egg withdrawal.  I am thinking about getting a nice electric smoker...does anyone else have a recommendation on a nice electric smoker?  I love the egg just don't want to sit out in the cold with it  all day.

Comments

• Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Fire up the Egg. Period.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Sit out side all day?  Buy a maverick. Then set it and forget it!  No need to be outside all day. 
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I have a Brinkmann Electric Vertical Water Smoker.  Bought it before I got the BGE.  Still use it when I feel like using it instead of the BGE, or when I travel somewhere I want to take a smoker.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    +1 with @theyolksonyou

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Zmokin
    Options
    I also have a smoker box I can use on my gasser.  So sometimes when I want to cook something on my rotisserie, I will start by smoking it on the rotisserie with indirect heat and then finish it off with direct heat from the back burner.

My next beef roast will be done this way.

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Don't do it, electric and smoker just don't go together. @theyolksonyou is absolutely right get the maverick 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    I am seriously not trying to be a @$$&(^% here but if you can't regulate the Egg in substandard temps what makes you think you can make a electric smoker work? It's a real question....You have to go outside either way. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Pull up them big boy pants an just egg it
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Lots of good cooks for everyone this winter. Try letting your egg heat soak/stabilize a little longer.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Buy an electric smoker?...... Buy a coat instead! 
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Good God boy! Do you want to be drummed out of the Cult? :o

I've been Egging since 1998 and winter has no affect on how often we eat from the Egg. It's an adventure!

If you want year round warmth move south otherwise, hitch up your big girl panties and go smoke something on the Egg. Just have the little woman shovel a path to the Egg and go to work!  =)
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    No need to stay by the egg when doing a long slow cook.  Get the temp stabilized and let it roll.  You can egg in any temperature.  Being a bit of a sissy, I do not do cooks that require a lot of attention (steaks, pizza) in this kind of weather, but butts, briskets, pork loins, etc are on.

I have a Brinkmann electric smoker which predates the egg and has not been used since I got the egg.  You would never reach or maintain an adequate smoking temp at cold outdoor temps like we have now.
    My son has a Weber Smoky Mountain, and it is very hard to get above 275 in the winter - frequent lump additions are needed too.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    I'm not sure where Pghegger is located but I see his point. For me, it's -10° F right now and tonight it will be -12° to -14°. To go out, clean the ash, fill with lump, light, add smoking wood, adjust the vents..... it takes the fun out of it.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• AR_Pork_Producer
    Options
    I had a Masterbuilt electric smoker(not the glass front). Though not as good as an egg it would serve up some pretty tasty food. It was insulated and was digitally  controlled. Just set it and forget it. Cooked many a butt overnight and never missed a wink.
    Large BGE, Holland Gas Grill, Masterbuilt electric smoker, Oklahoma Joe, Flame Boss
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    edited February 2015
    Options
    There is such a thing called adult beverage anti-freeze.  Will definitely mitigate the cold temps.  Go for it-a bit redundant for this thread.   :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Go out and cook in the cold makes the food taste better 
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • Pghegger
    Options
    I totally expected and deserve the abuse but like Bigguy said, cooking outside in this is no fun.  
  • Zmokin
    Options
    Pghegger said:
    I totally expected and deserve the abuse but like Bigguy said, cooking outside in this is no fun.  
    I disagree, you don't deserve the abuse.  The BGE is not the end all and only cooking appliance that some seem to think it is.

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    I'll admit that it isn't -10 in my neck of the woods, it's 6* last I checked. I'm not trying to abuse anyone, but I personally enjoy the looks I get from the neighbors when I'm out cooking in this kind of weather because I know my food will be better then theirs. I've also never used an electric smoker, but the friends I have (of which there are few) say that theirs is useless if the temp gets below 20*  with a decent wind. Never had a problem with the Egg. 

You can make great food on a lot of things, I just find besides a great oven for certain things the Egg performs more consistently then most. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • SloppyJoe
    Options
    Very sloppy.  You are not a die hard egger
  • calracefan
    Options
    I have a Masterbilt Electric smoker (Glass Front) , got it before my egg . It is actually more time consuming than my egg. I have to feed it wood chips every hour. Egg takes a little more time up front maybe but once set , forget it until things are nearly done (temp w/ Maverick or time (ribs)). Both make very good food !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Coastalcooker
    Options
    I'm braving the cold and cooking right now. A light sprinkle around noon dropped the temp to just below 70. Glad I left the land of ice and snow.
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE