Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Outdoor Kitchen - Need Advice

Options
Hello All,

I'm in the process of designing a massive remodel of a house I just purchased. As a part of the remodel, I will be adding on a massive back porch which will house my large egg as well as a yet purchased XL. I'm looking for tips from all you (or yinz as we say here in Pittsburgh) on designs for my space. I'm actually thinking of something rather simple. A counter on one side with 2 lower areas to house the eggs. Probably stone on the face, stone platforms for the eggs to sit on. Thinking stainless steel for the countertop for easy cleaning, durability, and looks. I was thinking of a sink, but given I'm in western PA, I don't really want to have to deal with it in the winters. I'm planning on some storage for wood and charcoal as well. Any thoughts, comments, what worked well for you and what didn't, would be appreciated.
Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Stainless tops will get really hot in the sun. Not saying don't use but something to consider.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I would want a large easy to clean counter/work surface with a space to set hot items (CI pans, platesetter, AR, etc) and a sink big enough to wash some pans in . Storage underneath for large items like bags of lump. And drawers for smaller items/pizza stones. I prefer an island type of setup with space for the eggs in nests so they remain mobile or set on shorter platforms, without being actually set into the  countertop. The eggs are easily accessible that way for repairs or if you have to move them for whatever reason.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    I am in the same process. I was going to go with granite or some other stone for counters. Sink large enough to wash a sheet pan in. Not sure if attachment will show, but here are the draft plans.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The counter will be undercover, @theyolksonyou , which should help.

Thanks, @caliking , for the ideas. Drawers a great idea I hadn't thought of.

Thanks for sharing your plans @Raymont , those look great. I'm still wondering about a sink as my cold winters make me worry about freezing pipes.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    @xiphoid007 I'm not scared of a sink in the northeast. I'm just going to have a union in the line or valve to winterize. Work in progress. image
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• UrbanForestTurnings
    Options

Stainless tops will get really hot in the sun. Not saying don't use but something to consider.

My gas grill burns the poop out of me. I wouldn't store lump outside.
  • orbbq
    orbbq Posts: 39
    Options
    a cup of RV antifreeze down the drain winterizes the sink easily enough.  just have a cutout counter drop in to close it off when in winter mode.

cast in place concrete counters are on my short list for my outdoor kitchen plans.  Cost vs performance is awesome and depending on what you want can stain and finish to a pretty high class appearance.
    BGE XL in the Pacific NW
  • MediumRarely
    Options
    Bought a home (new) in MD in late 2007.  My wife didn't really care for the kitchen, so in mid 2008 had to renovate.  As I had just built a deck off the kitchen and my countertop contractor wanted $500 to haul off the BRAND NEW Corian counters.  I had him haul it all the way to the deck (no charge).  Then I designed my countertop and Egg support system - developed cut sheets, etc. Since I'm a low maintenance kind of guy, I simply went to plasticlumberyard.com ordered the appropriate lumber (4x4's, 2x4's, 1x4's, etc,) and voila.

A little better view of the build.

Just out of the picture to the left is a gasser.  Stainless Steel (316L) Egg supports courtesy of Don Olson (Hi Tech Mfg.)  I anyone decides to to re-purpose a corian countertop or use plastic lumber, let me know as I learned some crucial steps that will affect your build.

Always act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.

• Chowman
    Chowman Posts: 159
    Options
    For the sink, I would use pex plastic pipes in case they do accidentally freeze (won't burst as easily as copper), but add indoor shut off valves with an integral drain to winterize. That is a nice project you've got there!
  • Chicklet
    Chicklet Posts: 205
    Options
    Have you ever looked on Houzz.com?  There are tons of search results for outdoor kitchens.  Be prepared to be overwhelmed.  Fun but a LOT of ideas.  
    Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    It's no problem blowing out your water lines. You just have to figure out how to move your gray water. That could be the hardest part.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I am a fan of concrete counters. Can buy forms cheap at Z counterform. Just pour and snap off. Can stain and seal and a fraction of cost of granite
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • MadcapMagician
    Options
    Another issue that you might want to consider is placement of the kitchen in relation to the sun. I get afternoon sun in my backyard and is absolutely unbearable in the summer, thanks to my dumb ash neighbor taking down all his trees. Just my thoughts.....
    1 brand new XL BGE 1-22" WSM 1-Weber Performer 1-Four Seasons gasser West Islip, New York
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Things I enjoy. ..

Sink. ..others have explained
    Electric
    Electric eye ...boiling, reducing
    Some sort of fridge / cooler
    Place for aluminum foil and butch paper
    Heat...for yourself
    Lump..

Ymmv
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Check out the challenger modular kitchens. Expensive but really nice and weatherproof. Might not be the look you want, I like them. Also you can take them if you ever move.
  • Double Bogey
    Options
    I second the Challenger cabinet concept. I had this stone monster built for my eggs and then a couple of years later we decided to move.  I got prices for building another one and then decided on something more portable. I have three Challenger cabinets, one for the large and one for the small BGE and a third for a drop in gas grill. Nice storage, weatherproof and I had mine built with wheels so portable.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • tcampbell
    Options

I second the Challenger cabinet concept. I had this stone monster built for my eggs and then a couple of years later we decided to move.  I got prices for building another one and then decided on something more portable. I have three Challenger cabinets, one for the large and one for the small BGE and a third for a drop in gas grill. Nice storage, weatherproof and I had mine built with wheels so portable.

Pics please.I'd live to see them.thanks
  • pgprescott
    Options
    You can get sinks integrated, drawers,shelves whatever. Wheels or leveling legs available.
  • Double Bogey
    Options
    pgprescott,
    I'll get some pictures by the end of the week.  Just had knee replacement and steps to patio are still an issue.  The large and gas grill are standard cabinets and the one for the small is the model for tailgating with the electric lift system that raises the whole cart for transport
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • pgprescott
    Options

pgprescott,
    I'll get some pictures by the end of the week.  Just had knee replacement and steps to patio are still an issue.  The large and gas grill are standard cabinets and the one for the small is the model for tailgating with the electric lift system that raises the whole cart for transport

How do you like the tailgater? Does the egg travel nicely or do you rove parts. Curious.
  • Double Bogey
    Options
    I have not had an opportunity to use the tailgate lift.  I actually had an opportunity to get the cart for cheap from my dealer and when they delivered it they brought along the lift as well.  The damn thing is rather large and weighs a ton.  It comes with straps to secure the table to the lift when you lift it for transport.  The egg is surrounded by a high temp rubber gasket at the table top.  The dealer used it often for demo cooks and events and said he never had a problem.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • pgprescott
    Options

I have not had an opportunity to use the tailgate lift.  I actually had an opportunity to get the cart for cheap from my dealer and when they delivered it they brought along the lift as well.  The damn thing is rather large and weighs a ton.  It comes with straps to secure the table to the lift when you lift it for transport.  The egg is surrounded by a high temp rubber gasket at the table top.  The dealer used it often for demo cooks and events and said he never had a problem.

Thanks.
  • xiphoid007
    Options
    Thanks for the great tips everyone!

@Chicklet I have been looking on Houzz. It is a great help. I've been using it for lots of ideas. Luckily I'm working with a great architect who has some incredible ideas.

It is seeming like the sink may be a better consideration than I first thought. @UrbanForestTurnings the greywater shouldn't be an issue as this is part of a massive remodel anyway. I can tie the sink directly to the plumbing. I'm try I'll to plan everything up front so I can avoid issues like that down the line.

@pgprescott I thought about the challenger, but this is the dream house so I was going for a built in unit.

I appreciate all the good ideas. I figured all you eggers out there would have great ideas to pass on.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE