Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is this black ring on the base of my egg?

Options
KiterTodd
KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
edited February 2015 in EggHead Forum
My egg had been in the nest since I put it together a year ago.  I have never removed it or spun it in the nest that would in any way scrape it. Nor did I do so during assembly.  That said, I have no idea if this ring was here when I assembled the egg, but I suspect not.

So, I looked up at my egg recently from the yard (it is up on my deck) and noticed this ring which I thought was odd.  How would black soot from inside the egg get outside the egg?  It isn't grease dripping down and burning because the side of my egg is clean.  I didn't inspect it close enough to see if it is a crack, but was wondering if this is normal.  My only guess is that this is a natural thin part in the base where the walls connect with the bottem and perhaps it gets very hot and burns any dust/pollen/debris that is sticking on the outside of the egg.

Egg is always covered when not in use.

I suspect it's nothing, but figured this is the place to ask!  If the pictures below don't show for you, there is a black ring on the bottom of my egg about 1.5" in from the sides.  Pics...

I'm asking because, you know...if the bottom fell out during a cook and caught my deck on fire...  this would be a bad thing. 
LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    A rare BGE STD. :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Serious note. Maybe grease permeating through the ceramics or just a simple mold. Don't see any cracks.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Is this normal?

You guys with tables probably rarely see the bottom of the egg, but other nest folks can take a peek.   ;)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    I don't recall seeing this on my LBGE (in an elevated table nest). And the MM still has that new egg smell. ;)
    How often do you use it? I wouldn't imagine mold developing with regular usage with the heat killing it off. With minimal use and damp conditions...maybe.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    It looks nice and symetrical. I wonder if its heat transfer from the bottom of the fire bowl where it touches the base. Do you think it's the same diameter? I wouldn't worry about it
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I would clean an area and check more closely for a crack. Better to be safe.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Looks like the firebowl, diameter looks about right and from the pic it looks like it's not centered. Can't tell from the pic if the circle is complete where the opening in the firebowl is for the slider, but that will tell you if its the firebowl if it's not there.

However, zero idea what would cause this - heat transfer or insulation. I'll take a look at mine tonight.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Must be from an artistic alien who got tired of doing mundane crop circles.

It looks circular, but off center ... yes?  Is it also green in color vs black?  Mine has a similar circle and it is distinctly green.  Suspect that the base is placed on a circular platform when the exterior glaze is sprayed.  And, what we're seeing is the edge of the platform outlined by over spray.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Its nothing
    Seattle, WA
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options

Must be from an artistic alien who got tired of doing mundane crop circles.

It looks circular, but off center ... yes?  Is it also green in color vs black?  Mine has a similar circle and it is distinctly green.  Suspect that the base is placed on a circular platform when the exterior glaze is sprayed.  And, what we're seeing is the edge of the platform outlined by over spray.

I agree, mine also are similar. Low ridge points of the base that pick up over spray as the base is slid/moved around on the painted floor.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Jeepster47, interesting. I'd agree that yours looks like it may be overspray.  Mine looks a little more like something growing out of the pits...either something bleeding through or just a higher temp heat causing those areas to blacken.

I'll see if I can clean one area off with a little bleach as suggested which will give me a closer look and see if/when it comes back.  If it's mold/mildew the bleach would turn it white in a minute and that'll answer that question.  If it's grease it'll require scrubbing.  If it's paint it won't change.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • FlashkaBob
    Options
    It's obvious that someone snuck in and is trying to screw with you. Look, he left his fingerprints! Hurry... call the police and they will track down the culprit through those fingerprints for you.

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• FlashkaBob
    Options
    =))

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options

It's obvious that someone snuck in and is trying to screw with you. Look, he left his fingerprints! Hurry... call the police and they will track down the culprit through those fingerprints for you.

CSI-BGE ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• KiterTodd
    Options
    So I'm guessing by the emoticons, I don't have to worry about the bottom of my egg dropping out like a diamond cut circle as if the pink panther were breaking out of my egg?

Got it.
    Nothing to see here.
    ;)
    LBGE/Maryland