Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

platesetter vs spider and stone

Options
What's the general thought on using the platesetter vs having an AR and spider and using a small diameter stone on the spider?

I only think I have ever used my PS twice or so and mainly go the way of the stone and the spider.

Successes and failures?
Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...

Comments

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I only know PS. Really don't know what's best.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I really like the AR, Spider and stone. I bet I use the stone on the lowest rack of the AR more than I do stone on the Spider. This way I can lift out the entire set up by pulling out the AR. The only time I use the platesetter is for dutch oven/bread or as additional spacer for pizza.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I agree totally with Photo_Egg. The ability to quickly remove the AR, food and all, is huge. You can lift it off and land it in a safe place and get your lid closed quickly. I actually had two plate setters that I bought for my first two LBGE's. I now have a third LBGE and have picked up two ARs. I do have a spider which I use for wok cooking and paellas. I don't use the spider for indirect, I use the oval pizza stones for my AR's. Now that I have two AR's, I never use the plate setters unless I have a third indirect cook I need to do at the same time.

Over the last year plus I have owned the AR, I have written several blog entries on my website about my initial impressions and what I've learned over time. Hopefully they will be of help to others so here are the links:

THE ADJUSTABLE RIG - FIRST IMPRESSIONS 2014 Blog Entry about the Adjustable Rig, a combination of my unboxing type impressions and my early experiences. 

GETTING TO KNOW THE ADJUSTABLE RIG 2014 Blog Entry about my first four months using Adjustable Rig including some unexpected and pleasant surprises.

AR RAISED INDIRECT BAKING - FIRST IMPRESSIONS 2014 Blog Entry about my first attempt at baking raised indirect on the Rig Extender at Level 7.5 of the AR.

THE ADJUSTABLE RIG - SEEING DOUBLE 2014 Blog Entry about my decision to pick up a second Adjustable Rig for my third (Baking Egg).

Jim

3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    100% agree with @Photo Egg. I have had both and lost 2 PS's at Fests (never looked back). I have a PS now for the MM and getting a stone for it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggerty
    Eggerty Posts: 220
    Options
    I just got the setup of the AR B&R and a spider with stone.  I love it.  To me, the PS is bulky and hard to handle.  The stone is much easier for moving in and out to go from ID to direct. Also I have seen others on the forum talk about the legs and how they create some different airflow issues around what you are cooking and even dome thermometer.  I used some variations of my CGS from @tjv 4 times since received last week and could not be more happy. 

My PS is now in the garage.
    LBGE - Nov/'14
    A Texan residing in Denver, CO.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    No plate setter for my XL, just a woo and a stone.  An AR & stone would be even better. 

My medium came with the PS otherwise I would use Woo & stone combo with it too. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I am not sure of the impact on cooking, but you can see in the attached pic the impact of a platesetter on heat distribution.  I cooked pizza last night and let the fire go after removing the pizza.  The firebox, fire ring and portions of the bottom and top domes got nice and clean.  The black area on the bottom is where the platesetter leg was. You can also see it had an impact on the top dome as well.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    When I got my Lg. I got the plate setter not knowing about the AR.  When I got my XL one of the first things I did was buy the AR for it.  More versitile, easier to use, less air flow issues, allows me to grill more,...  Don't get me wrong though when I use my Lg., which is most of the time, I use the plate setter and love it.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    I have a woo and a stone for my XL. I also have a CI grid that fits on the lower ring for searing. The woo rarely leaves my egg. It's a very versatile set up.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I think the Woo, stone, AR setup equals the most versatility. I hardly ever not use one of them. I'm glad I never went with a ps.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    If you already have the platesetter, you might look at a platesetter woo. It also gives you the ablity to lift the whole setup from the egg at once. I have two grids so I leave on on the firering and then the ps woo on top of that so reverse searing is a snap. The ps woo was just way cheaper since I already had a platesetter, just havent pulled the trigger on an AR.

Little Rock, AR

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Thanks for the info.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I had both for my large and have both for my XL. Always use the plate setter for indirect and the AR for direct. Never wanted to get my pizza stone dirty and didn't want to have to foil it. You can put more lump with the plate setter also.