Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

22 lbs of Bird...Done to Perfection

Options
SMITTYtheSMOKER
SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to many here for the advice on the cooking of 4 whole chickens on the large BGE. [p]Used Italian flavorings to juice-up the birds that cooked 1:45 at about 375-425 degrees.[p]4BIRDSfeb2006.jpg

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

Comments

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    SMITTYtheSMOKER,[p]Dem's some fine looking Boids!![p]Damm near a flock....pert' near!![p]
    By the way...[p]I saved you a Bone or two...[p]but I bit into this one waiting on you!![p]Ribber1.jpg[p][p]
    Congrats!![p]Evans

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    SMITTYtheSMOKER,
    man, those look most eggsellent ... . glad it worked out for you. .. .

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Chubby,
    Looks more like a covey to me, nice lookin rib. -RP

• Kinger
    Kinger Posts: 147
    Options
    SMITTYtheSMOKER,[p]That looks really great. Could you elaborate on the seasoning please. Are there beer cans or vertical chicken roasters in there or are they holding each other up? Looks to be inverted plate setter.
  • aka mr. Earl
    Options
    SMITTYtheSMOKER,[p]too cute for words.[p]how'd they taste?
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    JNK,[p]Yes on the inverted plate setter.[p]Used 16 oz cans filled with a mixure of Italian dressing and Pinot Grigio. Then added a twig of rosemary and lemon rine. Rub the birds down with a past made of garlic olive oil and an Italian seasoning from "TradeWinds" that contains rosemary, savory, sage and other aromatic spices. Gettin this rub up under the the skin onto the chicken breast was a key...so flavorful.[p]Capped the birds off with lemon quarters to plug the tops and let 'em go. I had to carefully position the birds to leave a seem for the egg thermometer to not punch a bird on it's way down. They cruised along at 350 for an hour and bumped them up to 425 for another 45 minutes and pulled them off when we reached a 169 on the breast meat. Wrapped in cooler and ate them about an hour later and moist and juicy as can be...and such flavor.[p]This was a party with about ten elderly women cooks who "know their business" if you get my drift, they were very impressed. With the raves coming in the masses at the table...not sure if they will be converted to Eggdom or if whether I will be invited back at all, could go either way with that tough crowd. LOL[p]

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA