Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza pan pizza, it works for me.....with pic's

Options
Clay Q
Clay Q Posts: 4,486
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Made some pizza's last Sunday. First three were large thin crust cheese and sausage with onion pizza's, the last was a big daddy with lot's of goodies. I use perforated pizza pans and they work just fine for me. I get a crunch to the crust with the toppings well done. Nothing like impressing three teenagers with the sound of crunching crust when slicing. Penzeys Pizza Seasoning is really good stuff and I crack a little pepper on also.

BGEPizzaSuperBowl001.jpg

BGEPizzaSuperBowl002.jpg

[p]Here DianeQ gives me a hand to show the pan I use.

BGEPizzaSuperBowl008.jpg

BGEPizzaSuperBowl010.jpg

My setup is inverted platesetter with grid and pizza pan on grid, dome 500-525 degrees. When the pizza is done I bring it in the house, grab the next pizza ready for the egg and I keep it going untill all 4 pizza's are baked. Baked pizza will slide right out of pan onto cutting board.

BGEPizzaSuperBowl015.jpg

BGEPizzaSuperBowl014.jpg

Big appetite, big pizza.
Have a great weekend!
Clay

Comments

• UnConundrum
    Options
    ClayQ,
    Thanks.... Now I'm gonna have to make pizza tomorrow, in the snow :) Looks great !

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    ClayQ,
    I always in awe of your skills. Okay, jealous also.
    Just looks so good.
    Mike

• BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]That is one fantastic post! Great looking food and process pics! Thanks for taking the time to help us along.
  • ClayQ,
    Sold! I'm slobbering all over myself! I tend to overdo the
    bottom of my pizzas on the stone and platesetter. I'm going
    hunting for one of those perf. pizza pans this weekend.
    Thanks a million!
    Grillnut

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    ClayQ, while I love your pizza post that pizza will be gone by tonight, but that beautiful rolling pin in your picture will see the light of many "tomorrows"! Did you turn that one yourself?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Clay Q
    Options
    RRP,
    That's my dad's work. He made the bread board also. Can't buy these in a store, they are one of a kind.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    ClayQ, while I don't know if your Dad's beautiful work was "past or present" it all remains with us...doesn't it?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Grillnut at Norcross Ace,
    I bought the same one at Target in Alpharetta

• Canuck
    Canuck Posts: 20
    Options
    ClayQ,
    Do you use anything else between the platesetter (legs down?) and the pan other then the grid? [p]I've never been brave enough to try a pizza before but yours looks so darn good I think I might have to give it a shot. I'll be looking for one of those pans this weekend. [p]Canuck

• Clay Q
    Options
    Canuck,
    My setup is platesetter legs up, grid on legs of platesetter, pizza pan on grid. Nothing else. This is how I bake bread. I have the BGE pizza stone, have used it, but like a few other folks, have some scorching issues with extended baking times- like when I bake 3 or 4 pizzas in a row for a party. [p]I hope this explanation helps. I should have been more clear in my posting yesterday. Thanks for asking. You know, there are a number of ways to cook pizza, different setups, temps and such, this is an option using pizza pans and because I've had good luck with them I thought to share this method. Brick oven style pizza is so good.
    Clay

• Clay Q
    Options
    ClayQ,
    I almost forgot to mention; Spray or wipe on a little oil to the pizza pans so nothing sticks. Cheese can be like glue after it bakes on. And don't substitute glue for pizza cheese,- you will be disappointed.

• ClayQ,
    Your pizza looks great! Are you willing to share your crust recipe?
    pj

• BarnBurner
    Options
    Just curious...with your setup and cooking temp, what's your avg cook time on your pizzas?
  • Clay Q
    Options
    pjmonty,
    I eye ball my dough, mix and knead by hand, go by feel. I recommend you try a recipe from a cook book and start with that. My recipe- I don't have exact amounts, sorry. It's always changing depending on the humidity or how much dough I need. I can say this; knead the dough just enough to have it smooth then stop and rest it(proof). A lot of kneading will cause the dough to spring back,- not good. You want the dough to be relaxed, soft and a little sticky. This makes a good pizza dough. Take your time, start the dough two hours before your ready to make pizzas then rest it. Use pleanty of flour on the bread board and rolling pin when rolling out. Oil the pizza pan and your ready to build a pizza.
    Good luck,
    Clay