Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Busted my ass and stuffed loin

Options
Slipped and busted my ass on a small patch of ice. The small patch of ice is where I stand egging and it packs down the snow. All the snow blew off the driveway leaving the patch bare and slick. Went from feet to back within a millisecond and the pork loin flew onto the ground. The ground is frozen solid so I picked it up, straightened up the bacon and onto the egg. My son was standing there LHFO. Earlier in the day we had whiteout conditions and had a 10-15 car pileup including a oil tanker that shut the freeway down. Wind is still blowing, but the snow quit and my snow fences are working awesome. Here's some pics of the progress.
imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    Nice tie job and bacon weave. I'd have totally dusted it off and cooked the hell out of it!
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Nice recovery. Usually when I bust my butt, I get up so fast and look quickly around to see if anyone was looking. Then the pain sets in.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • boochsr71
    boochsr71 Posts: 267
    Options
    way to suck it up and egg on!

Booch- from Medina, Ohio

• StillSmoken
    Options
    5 second rule!!! Egg On. Looking forward to the pics.
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Finished. Pulled off at 145°. Needed more cheese, but it was good. imageimageimage
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    Options
    below is a 30sec video of the cars/trucks that crashed. I know the bigger more populated areas of the country and the lower part of Wyoming have these, but not near where I live. With the low volume of traffic here, this accident was probably spread out over several minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl6yPOLuDBo&sns=em
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Looks good. I've never tried to stuff a loin. Maybe this weekend
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Great job all around. Love the way you maned up. Good thing you didn't land on the loin. Hard to explain how that loin got stuffed at the e.r :-O
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,597
    Options
    That loin looks killer..Great cook..Those snow fences are truly doing their job..Once again thats one tasty looking loin, and love the pics..Be careful on that ice..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Nice job!

Did the bacon weave end up on top of the twine? If so, was it a pain to remove when eating? That would make it heaps easier to put together if it worked out rather than trying to wrap a stuffed loin without tying first.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    Nice looking grub..well done and nice recovery.

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Stem that looks really good! I keep saying I'm gonna do one. You guys keep nudging me.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Looks very good ... the loin, not the accident.  Have you done a wrapped loin without the bacon ... how was it relative to this one?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited January 2015
    Options
    One of my favorite ways to do loins or  tenderloins.  I have finally figured out after many eggtempts that if I lay several pieces of twine on the board then make the bacon weave and then place and build the stuffed loin. It works great and I just cut the twine as I serve.
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 895
    Options
    That is a LOT nicer than the one I did last week... I have no patience for weaving bacon, I just laid a half dozen strips on top.

Really nice job of getting the sections even also.

I'd be happy to eat some of that one, even after the 5 second rule expired.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Niche done @stemc33‌. I have couple large pork loins in the freezer I am wanting to do, but I am getting over a bad cold and don't really want to get that sick again so soon. I'm waiting for temps to go up first to egg again. So what all did you stuff it with?
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Food looks delicious!!!  Hope the fall didn't hurt anything other than pride.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • matt121966
    Options
    are those cubed raw potatoes ???

cook indirect ???

what temp and how long ??? I see the 160 degree comment.

Looks awesome.
    Toledo, OH

XL BGE (December 2014), 2 burner weber gas
  • stemc33
    Options
    Thanks all...My backs a little sore, but not bad at all for as hard as I hit.

@StillSmoken‌, Wasn't too worried about the 5sec rule since it landed on solid ice.

@grege345‌, not only are they good, they're fun to make.

@tarheelmatt‌, I usually jump up and look, but I was holding the empty cutting board and my son was cracking up laughing. He was laughing so hard he couldn't ask me if I was okay.

@DMW‌, the bacon is on top of the twine. I just slice through it, serve it, and let people know there's twine in it. It comes right off. The bacon is just draped over the top, not fully enclosed.

@Jeepster47‌, I haven't done one without bacon. The bacon adds some flavor, but I mostly do it to keep the loin from drying out. It also gives a bit of a cushion in cook times. I've burnt the bacon before, but the loin was still good.

@Richard Fl‌, thanks for the tip.

@DieselkW‌, this is the first weave. I usually do the same as you.

@Ladeback69‌ and @matt121966‌,
    ingredients include: mozzarella, spinach, kale, oven ready lasagna noodles (moistened just enough to make malleable), tomatoes, and seasoned with BGE Kodiak River.

Cooked indirect at 430° dome. My iGrill at the grate was about 340°.
    My dome thermo might be off. The iGrill thermo was not very close to the meat, but maybe the way the air circulated it could of drafted the cold air from the meat because they did get closer as the cook went on. I think about 1.25-1.5 hours. I had two probes that hit 145° at the same time. Confirmed with ThermoPop. Temp raised to a little over 150° during the rest.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Jerald
    Jerald Posts: 46
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You folks that live up North and grind through the ice and cold to grill, I have nothing but respect.  I can handle grilling in 105 degree weather, but that bitter cold?  I hope your family appreciates you.
    Bub - Flower Mound, Texas.  

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    edited January 2015
    Options
    That would make a great tv commercial. Walking through deep snow slipping on ice just to get to his BGE. Goes to show how good food tastes cooked on a BGE. Dont think many people would do that for a gasser.

Kleinburg, Ontario Canada
  • stemc33
    Options
    Jerald said:
    You folks that live up North and grind through the ice and cold to grill, I have nothing but respect.  I can handle grilling in 105 degree weather, but that bitter cold?  I hope your family appreciates you.

Unfortunately, if we waited for warm weather to due stuff, we'd be sitting on our butts for a long time. I'm just glad we don't have to deal with rain very often. As bad as it was yesterday, this is what it looks like today. It's 9° and no wind. The wind even cleared much of our snow. Sunshine makes everything great and we get a lot of it.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Stem that's spectacular!
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options

Awesome pork loin and you have a magnificent view!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• StillSmoken
    Options
    That looks delicious! Love the pic of the landscape. You live in a special place!!
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Thanks for the picture ... love how blue and clear the sky is in the western most states.  Arizona folks used to advertise 360 days of sunshine every year.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• TQB
    TQB Posts: 29
    Options
    That looks great, that is something i deffinetly will be trying. That is if I can manage to get it cut that way.  =))
    Central Pa
    XL BGE
  • stemc33
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thanks @TQB‌. The cut is actually really easy to prepare. Here's a video demonstrating how the loin is roll cut. There's lots of videos, this is just a short one. Just have to make sure you get a loin and not a tenderloin.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OI4EWQYYXK8
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • TQB
    TQB Posts: 29
    Options
    Thanks for the link @stemc33‌
    Central Pa
    XL BGE