Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuffed Flank Steak

Options
Had half of a flank steak and some onion/bell peppers/mushrooms in the fridge so I decided to combine them tonight...

Wifey sautéed the veggies first and let them cool before stuffing.

I attempted to butterfly the flank steak and then stuffed with the sautéed onion/bell pepper/mushroom mix. Topped with some panko and shredded cheese. Used a couple skewers to hold it all together

Grilled it direct at 450ish on the small tonight. Turned it often until medium rare. After that, I remembered I had an avocado in the fridge...

Served the steak up with some guac and chips! Stuffed flank steak was something I had never done before and would definitely do again! However, all of the cheese was gone after cooking. Perhaps this would have been better as an indirect cook to avoid flipping so much?

Thanks for looking!

- Proud owner of a Large BGE
- Norman, OK

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    I'd hit it. Love fresh guacamole!
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Nice looking meal.  In some parts of South America they are made and sliced for the cowboys to take to the fields for lunch.Called "matambre" translated means " kill hunger".

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061001191351AA97pVc

There have been a few posts over the years slicing them into 1-2" slices before cooking and calling them pinwheels.

Beef, Steak, Flank, Stuffed, Pinwheels

INGREDIENTS:
    1 lb flank steak
    1 Tbs Creole spice
    1/2 cup roasted garlic cloves
    1 Tbs minced anchovies
    2 Tbs grated Parmesan cheese
    Salt and pepper
    Up to 1/4 cup olive oil
    8 slices bacon
    10 wood skewers, soaked 30 minutes in warm water to prevent burning
    2 Tbs chopped parsley, for garnish
    Homemade Worcestershire sauce, (optional), for serving

Procedure:

1. Butterfly flank steak: cut steak horizontally through the middle, leaving in attached at one end, to create a flat, thin rectangular slice. Generously season both sides with Creole spice. Into a small bowl squeeze roasted garlic cloves and combine with anchovies, Parmesan cheese and freshly-ground black pepper; mash, adding enough olive oil, a few drops at a time, to bind mixture. Spread garlic mixture evenly over steak. Lay bacon across steak, to cover entire surface. Roll up long side, jelly roll fashion. Slice roll into 1 1/2-inch thick ";pinwheels", securing each one closed with a skewer, as you cut them. Season with salt and pepper. Grill on preheated hot grill, 4 minutes per side for medium done. Serve 3 per serving, with homemade Worcestershire sauce, if desired.

Servings: 1
    Yield: 4 servings

Recipe Type: Main Dish, Meat

Source
    Source: BBQ List, Unknown

• Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Options
    Cool, I like the pinwheel idea!
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Very nice!  If you like the pinwheel idea you might just check out Costcos or BJs.  They do the work for you :)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.