Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got my local BGE dealer talked into a 2nd lump brand. out of these 3 which one.

Options
Ozark Oak
Rockwood
Humphreys
What say ye?
Votes will be tabulated and shared today at 5pm with him.
Btw..He is located in Homosassa Florida.
Good news!!

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Rockwood.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Options
    Rockwood
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Geez, I haven't tried any, but that's an hour and a half away from me so I'll go either Oo or Rockwood.
    Dunedin, FL
  • walleyv
    walleyv Posts: 147
    Options
    All good but I sell OO and Rockwood.
  • Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    Options
    Rockwood
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I finally made the decision to try something new besides BGE Lump. In part, I bought the BGE lump to support my mom and pop dealer. 

So. I go to Firecraft to order Rockwood.  24 hours  later they send an auto-email to tell me it's backordered until 1/22. 

Is there anywhere in North Metro Atlanta where they sell Rockwood or Ozark? 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    RW or OO. I've never tried Humphreys so I don't have an educated opinion. RW in 20# bags & OO in 10# bags both are great products.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    Humphreys burns very hot. Not good for low and slow. It does burn clean like Rockwood but it burned fast when I had 40lbs.great for grilling Temps.
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I would say OO or RW. I personally want to try OO next. I've been using RW or for a or a year. Love it.
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I finally made the decision to try something new besides BGE Lump. In part, I bought the BGE lump to support my mom and pop dealer. 

So. I go to Firecraft to order Rockwood.  24 hours  later they send an auto-email to tell me it's backordered until 1/22. 

@TheBuckeye

Many Ace Hardware stores in North Metro Atlanta carry RW.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Rockwood

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Rockwood because I haven't used OO. Next order I make in going to order a bag and see what it's like.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    I don't think Ozark Oak is taking any new orders. They can't keep up with the demand for it so they are only taking former clients.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I would say OO unless you want @henapple knocking on your door with a palletfull in your driveway. Otherwise Rockwood.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    I just got my first shipment of Rockwood from Firecraft yesterday.  If Santa brings coal to naughty children, I must have been a very bad boy. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I would go OO for sure. I have never seen a complaint about OO but have seen many about the tiny pieces in Rockwood. Out of a couple 20 lb bags of rockwood I threw away a couple pounds of each that was dust and nickel sized pieces.
  • jstnezell
    Options
    I just got a bag of OO and have been very happy with it, burns clean and it's easy to control at a range of termperatures. 
    Houston, TX - LBGE
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ive drifted away from the nuetral tasting lumps, i want some lump flavor. ozark or one you didnt mention, basques sugar maple
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    After using both Rockwood and Ozark Oak for a while, I've decided to switch to Ozark Oak only.  Both lumps are excellent, but I like the 10lb bags that OO comes in, and it seems to ship better.
    NOLA
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options

Catersville ACE, but call before you go, I bought them out before New Years. Also, any ACE in north Georgia can order from the warehouse in any quantity. At least that's what the lady in Cartersville told me.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    I've used OO and Rockwood. I prefer OO

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Z_Eggineer
    Options
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited January 2015
    Options
    With apologies to @stlcharcoal

Why take just one suggestion to your dealer.  S/he has a business to run and needs to make a good business decision.  You want a good/better lump at a reasonable price.  Both situations are not mutually exclusive.  If the forum had to pick either A or B, they absolutely couldn't reach consensus ... too many different personalities and tastes.  Hell, some members would still be arguing against either A or B as they are being lowered into their grave.

Either Ozark Oak or Rockwood are great choices.  Look up the contact information for both companies and provide that information to your dealer.  Tell him that both are great choices.  Or, add a third lump that is high on the Nakedwhiz list.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited January 2015
    Options
    With apologies to @stlcharcoal

Why take just one suggestion to your dealer.  S/he has a business to run and needs to make a good business decision.  You want a good/better lump at a reasonable price.  Both situations are not mutually exclusive.  If the forum had to pick either A or B, they absolutely couldn't reach consensus ... too many different personalities and tastes.  Hell, some members would still be arguing against either A or B as they are being lowered into their grave.

Either Ozark Oak or Rockwood are great choices.  Look up the contact information for both companies and provide that information to your dealer.  Tell him that both are great choices.  Or, add a third lump that is high on the Nakedwhiz list.

Sound advice there, Tom! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    @THEBuckeye‌ I ordered 5 bags of Rockwood from fire craft yesterday and got the same message. I usually buy mine from the Ace on Johnson's Ferry. However, the last time I went there, they were out of stock. I would definitely call around.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I called the WIndward Ace and they carry it. It's close so I'll stop in.

Thanks everyone. 

GO BUCKS! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

It shouldn't take that long, we have charcoal enroute to them.

In the meantime, any Ace Hardware in ATL can order it if it's not already on the shelf.  Go on our website to see which stores usually have it in stock.  Best to call first and see if they have 8400772 in stock.

• SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    it's a shame Rockwood isn't sold locally in Colorado...
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    AUCE said:
    Ozark Oak Rockwood Humphreys What say ye? Votes will be tabulated and shared today at 5pm with him. Btw..He is located in Homosassa Florida. Good news!!

@AUCE

I'm not showing an Ace in that city ordering any RW bags, but the last report data I have was 12/31/14.  I have not heard of any store south of about Gainesville, FL being able to get it since that's a different distribution warehouse. 

Can you do me a favor and let me know if they have successfully ordered Rockwood (SKU 8400772)?

• g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Options
    @stlcharcoal‌ how can I get anyone in Hawaii to order RW.
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii