Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PIZZA QUESTION

Options
I'm starting to get comfortable cooking pizza.  I really like the way the high temp dough cooks.  I'm trying to find out the best way to get the toppings to cook (onions/pepperoni/green peppers, etc.) and get crisp at the same time the crust is ready?  Usually my crust is ready before my toppings and i would like the toppings to cook longer.  Below are some pics of my pizza.  

I'm using indirect with the grill grate and pizza stone. The dome temp is around 600 degrees.   

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks,  

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    To each his own, but I have much better luck at 475 dome. Does your dough recipe actually call for 600? At that temp your ceramic is really hot, but you are trying to finish the toppings using indirect radiated heat which isn't as intense.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dunwoodyegg
    Options
    I purchased the dough at a local Italian grocery store.  Never asked what temp to cook the dough so I just tried a couple of different temps.  
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Agree with rrp....hotter does not mean better on the egg imo.
    I go oven these days and 425 is fine, but in the oven i have flexibility to do last few minutes on the bottom off the stone.
    Seattle, WA
  • tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Options
    I agree with @RRP, I usually run my dome at 400. I cook my dough for 7 minutes, and bring it in and put on sause and toppings. Then I put it back on for 14 minutes.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    +2 with RRP. If you want the toppings to cook, you must lower the temp. Less toppings can take higher temps if you like.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Different doughs like different temps. Most generic pizza joint or grocery store doughs probably need about 500° +/-. Try lowering your temp, but also, raise the pie higher in the dome to take advantage of the higher temp up there.

I use a platesetter, legs down, with about 4" of spacers (could be anything - mine is a mini woo and some planter feet from a garden shop). Easiest it probably a couple of bricks turned on edge. Some feel that legs down makes it more likely that you will destroy your gasket so they use the platesetter legs UP, then the grid, THEN the spacers. Either way, get the pizza stone higher and see how you like that.

I do mine in the oven these days, but that's another story. :) Here's the setup I used to use. Good luck!
    imageimage

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    In just rereading your post it sounds like you just put your stone directly on your grate. Is that correct? If so then at 600 dome that stone is "smokin hot!" You really need more mass in there. Most use a plate sitter as well as a stone.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dunwoodyegg
    Options
    Thanks for the advice.  I actually had my inside platesetter legs up then the grate and stone.  I going to try lowering the temp and raise the pie higher in the dome.  i appreciate the tips.  THANKS! 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @dunwoodyegg‌, I cook mine at the 500° range and toppings come out good/to my liking. I use a pampered chef stone, so I can't really go higher than that safely. Also, decreasing the amount of toppings will help. Are you letting the egg sit at 600° for a little bit to make sure the ceramic is hot and not just the air? If the ceramic is hot you'll get increased radiant heat. The stone will heat faster than the eggshell because it's thinner and has convection on both sides. Also, try to get the pie as high up in the dome as possible to increase the intensity of radiant heat. I've read postings that people report altering their dough due to sugar burning. I have also read slightly cooling the stone with a rag helps. I think you'll have to try different things/suggestions to get what you want. Just have fun with it.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • calracefan
    Options
    Try raising the stone higher into the dome. The reflective heat will help the toppings cook.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO