Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where does everyone shop?

Options
Like buy meat and stuff?? I'm moving soon and should be able to find a lot more, also having a job will help that. But around here in Mississippi there's Wally World and Kroger but lately Kroger has been hit or miss.

Do you order online? Or butcher? Talking fish and seafood too though

XLBGE 

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I buy seafood mainly from Costco - lobster tails, salmon, scallops, halibut when they have it.

Kroger seems to have good short ribs, and they sell brisket point separately. HEB for pork butt, brisket, ribs, and shrimp. But they're only in TX.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I buy meat at the local grocer, Costco, or a couple Butcher shops. For fish, I'll go to the grocer to get stuff or fish markets near Baltimore. Living near the coast is a blessing.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @caliking‌

I've been looking for scallops everywhere's!! And a good piece of fresh salmon would be awesome. I've ordered it at nice places twice lately and still haven't gotten a good cut :((

XLBGE 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Costco has consistently good salmon if you can find one nearby. I don't often get seafood there because it's often a spur of the moment purchase if I see nice piece, which is typically at the grocer or market.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Freshfields Farm, RD, Sam's Club, Publix, Winn Dixie and hopefully soon enough from a co-worker that raises his own pigs and cattle.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • smasch
    smasch Posts: 115
    Options
    Farm fresh from the father in laws farm for our beef. Everything else is Costco and Restaurant Depot.
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Do you have a Costco nearby? They have scallops here regularly, and they're a good size too. I'm not a salmon connoisseur but I've been happy with the salmon they have.

I also buy lamb (racks and boneless legs) from there.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Seafood I get from a variety of locations. But, the best has been the fresh catches from the docks in Mayport. Only thing fresher is catching it yourself. ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I've got a private owned grocery store next to my pharmacy. Ive made friends with the owner AND most importantly the butcher. He takes care of me. I just call him and tell him what I want and he has it cut and waiting on me. No dry aged stuff or anything but they carry CErtified angus beef and he'll cut whatever I want.

Little Rock, AR

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Costco is pretty much where I get everything. If they don't have it I probably don't need it. Got 3 pounds of their organic ground beef last night for burgers tonight. It helps that they just opened a brand new store 2 miles from my house. I have a RD card but rarely make it cause its not close. Thats crappy the lack of choices we have almost too many places local. Withing 5 minutes from my house there are 2 publix, a Ingles, Costco, BJs, there was a Kroger but it closed and is becoming a Sprouts, Walmart, and target.
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    I'm on the water here in fla. I get fresh seafood from the docks. Meats usually from a butcher. I'm intrigued by the costco prime meats. They have some of the prettiest marble I've ever seen.

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

Cali, Sams club ALWAYS has scallops.

Fresh market has them too.

Love scallops.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Aviator
    Options

Rest of the protein, Costco.

Publix for fresh ribs. Can NEVER eat or even stand the smell of cryo ribs from anywhere. I am like a tiger, I like fresh kill for my ribs.

Chattanooga, TN.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    up here theres probably 20 supermarkets within a 20 minute drive with a good seafood selection, a half dozen seafood only markets, and up at camp theres a dozen houses that sell from their back door
    :D
    no maine shrimp this year, the season was just cancelled
    :((
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BKD
    BKD Posts: 10
    Options
    Snake River Farms.com, when I want to splurge

1 XL BGE

2 Med BGE

1 Mini Max

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Like buy meat and stuff?? I'm moving soon and should be able to find a lot more, also having a job will help that. But around here in Mississippi there's Wally World and Kroger but lately Kroger has been hit or miss. Do you order online? Or butcher? Talking fish and seafood too though
    Might help more if you give nearest large city that you will be moving to. Other locals to your new area might be better able to help.
    If your moving to Galveston I could send you to Katie's Seafood...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Publix. Convenient and usually the best selection of meats. The only thing I get at walmart are Tyson wings. Love those things.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    I purchase all my meat from either Costco or Restaurant Depot.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I get Ozark Oak at Harp's.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Often times I just get all my stuff at one spot because its easy, but here are my favorite spots for Specific Product: Whole Foods for Fresh Poultry & Seafood, Luckys Market for ProduceKroger for Flat Iron Steak, Trader Joes for frozen stuff & quick meals, Costco for, ummm . . . paper towels.    I think my Costco must suck because I have not had good luck w/ their protein.

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Wegmans, Fresh Market, H-Mart, local butcher, local farmer's markets, Costco, Trader Joe's.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
     NDG  got to love those Flat Iron steaks from Krogers. 
    I check the "Manager's Special" section every time i'm in the store for the daily deals to look for them. Toss them in the deep freeze for later. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Aviator
    Options
    I like and buy Henapple's lump. :D:))

Chattanooga, TN.

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Whole Foods and Wilkes Meats (local butcher)
    New Albany, Ohio 

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Moving about 45- hour away from Henapple and Nashville. There's a Costco.

XLBGE 
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Where is the lovely Magnolia State are you at this time?  I'm fairly familiar with the southern end of the state from Hattiesburg on south to the coast.....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited December 2014
    Options
    in NOLA:

Dorignacs
    Langensteins
    Restaurant Depot
    Costco
    Sam's Club
    Whole Paycheck
    Rousses
    Win Dixie (only deals)
    Breaux Mart (what up, bro!?)
    Rare Cuts
    Casey Jones (sadly, closed now)
    Westwego Shrimp Lot
    Hong Kong Market

I love Rousses!!!!!  Lived in Slidell and Abita Springs for a bit.....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @nolaegghead --

You need to check out Emmett's Fine Meats:      http://emmettsmeats.com/   

They have some awesome stuffed chickens and chops and some wonderful sausages. It's one of my favorite places to spend money.

Also Zuppardo's has a really nice meat section and it's less expensive then Dorginacs.
    Only drawback is you have to dodge around all the old people blocking the aisles  ;)

"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Coastalcooker
    Options
    Local shrimp are scarce right now. Boats have been as far south as St Augustine with small shrimp and few of them. For fish, people frequently give me fish, at the dock. I will take whiting and either a red or trout  sometimes. Don't buy frozen seafood.
    Publix meat is generally good and well trimmed, even though the price is sometimes high.  Tried a Harris Tetter last week, got pork tenderloin on two for one sale. Price was reasonable, meat was good.
    The local Piggly Wiggly sometimes has a sale on things like butts. The last time it was for a two pack. I ended up with about twenty pounds of meat. It needed some trimming, but I can do that for a $1.50 a pound price break.
    A nearby Bi Lo store claims to sell choice Porterhouse or Tee Bone for around $7.50. I can't speak as to quality.
    Living in a small rural area fifty miles to a major city has the disadvantage of lack of grocery shopping choices.
    The disadvantage is far outweighed every time I look across the marsh or rive outside my door,
    Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE